摘要:所以不久前,我上了一堂英语课,课上我沿着购物中心里所有店铺的前面走了一遍,并讲述了每家店铺的特色。
So a while ago, I did an English lesson where I walked along the front of all the stores in a strip mall and I talked about what each store was.
所以不久前,我上了一堂英语课,课上我沿着购物中心里所有店铺的前面走了一遍,并讲述了每家店铺的特色。
And today I'm going to do that again, but I'm in a different location.
今天我将再次进行这项活动,不过是在一个不同的地点。
So, welcome to this English lesson about stores and shops and things you will find in what I call a strip mall, or what you could also call a plaza.
欢迎参加关于商店和店铺的英语课程,以及在我称之为“购物中心”或你们也可称为“广场”的地方能找到的各类设施。
Our first place here is called Heads Held High.
我们这里的第一站叫做“昂首挺胸”。
I would call that a nail salon, but on the sign it says nail shop and beauty bar.
我会称之为美甲沙龙,但招牌上写着美甲店和美容吧。
So if you want to get your nails done, if you want to, go there and have someone look at your nails and put nail polish on your nails, that would be the place to go.
所以,如果你想做美甲,想要去那里让人看看你的指甲并涂上指甲油,那就是你要去的地方。
It's probably obvious that I don't know a lot about nail salons.
显然,我对美甲沙龙了解不多。
This next place is called Union Jack Fish and Chips.
接下来这家店叫联合杰克炸鱼薯条。
And yes, we do have fish and chip restaurants here in Canada.
是的,加拿大确实有炸鱼薯条餐厅。
When you buy fish and chips, you are buying food that is deep fried.
当你购买炸鱼薯条时,你买的是一种油炸食品。
That means that they batter the fish and they put it in really hot oil and it bubbles and it cooks the fish and it makes it crispy and really yummy.
这意味着他们会将鱼裹上面糊,放入非常热的油中,油会冒泡,将鱼煮熟,使其变得酥脆且非常美味。
And since they're using that method to cook, you might as well do some French fries as well.
既然他们用这种方法烹饪,不妨也做些薯条。
The next place is called Grimsby Orthodontics.
下一个地方叫做格里姆斯比正畸诊所。
Now, this might seem like a dentist, and it sort of is, but it's a place where you would go to get braces.
现在, 这看起来可能像是一家牙科诊所,某种程度上确实如此,但这是你去安装牙套的地方。
Braces are these things that dentists will put on someone's teeth, so that their teeth will, I guess, get straightened.
牙套是牙医会放在某人牙齿上的东西,这样他们的牙齿就会,我想,变得整齐。
My top teeth look pretty good, but someday, if I wanted to, I could get braces on my lower teeth because they are a little bit crooked.
我的上牙看起来还不错,但将来有一天, 如果我想的话,我可以给我的下牙装上牙套,因为它们有点歪。
But honestly, I'm not that worried about it.
但说实话,我并不太担心这个。
And this last place used to be called the Pita Pit, but now it is vacant.
这最后一家店以前叫皮塔饼坑,但现在空置着。
If you remember from my last video, when something is vacant, it means that, if you wanted to rent it, if you wanted to lease it, you could.
如果你还记得我上一段视频,当某个地方空置时,意味着如果你想要租用它,或者想要租赁它,你是可以的。
If you decided that you wanted to open a little restaurant or maybe you wanted to have a little office in town, you could lease that space or rent it.
如果你想在城里开一家小餐馆,或者拥有一间小办公室,你可以租下那个地方。
By the way, rent and lease are kind of used interchangeably.
顺便说一下, “rent” 和“lease”这两个词有时可以互换使用。
In English, sometimes it simply means you don't own it.
在英语中,有时它仅仅意味着你不拥有它。
Someone else owns it and you give them money so that you can use it.
别人拥有它,你付钱给他们以便使用它。
So you can rent a car or lease a car.
所以你可以租车或租购车辆。
You can rent a building or lease a building.
你可以租赁一栋建筑或租用一栋建筑。
In that situation, you don't own that item.
在这种情况下,您并不拥有该物品。
But, you get to use it.
不过,你可以使用它。
It's like it's yours, except you have to give someone money every month.
这就像是你自己的东西,只不过你每个月得付钱给别人。
Around the corner here, in just a moment, you will see what's called Mark's Work Warehouse.
转过这个街角,马上你就能看到一家名为马克工作仓库的店铺。
And this is a clothing store.
这是一家服装店。
That is the type of store that I would call it, but this one specializes in work clothes.
那是一种我称之为工作服专卖店的类型,但这家店专注于工作服。
It specializes in clothes for people who need safety shoes or really good pants because they work in a factory.
这家店专营为那些需要在工厂工作的人提供的安全鞋或优质裤子。
Or maybe they need insulated boots, for whatever their job is.
或者, 他们可能需要绝缘靴,无论从事何种工作。
Maybe they drive a snowplow.
也许他们开的是铲雪车。
Mark's.
马克的。
I guess it's just called Mark's now.
我想现在它就叫马克店了。
It used to be called Mark's Work Warehouse, but maybe they simplified the name.
它以前叫马克工作仓库,不过可能他们简化了这个名字。
You can also buy some normal clothes there, of course.
当然,你也可以在那里买到一些普通衣服。
But, if Jen needs really good pants to use on the farm, she would go there.
不过,要是珍在农场需要耐穿的裤子,她就会去那儿买。
Over here, we, of course, have a McDonald's, which you might have seen in the English lesson that I did about ordering food in a drive through.
在这里,我们当然有一家麦当劳,你可能在我之前关于在免下车餐厅点餐的英语课上见过它。
A McDonald's is a fast food restaurant that serves mostly hamburgers and french fries.
麦当劳是一家快餐店,主要供应汉堡和薯条。
And you can see that, you can go in if you want to eat in, or you can go through the drive through if you want takeout.
你可以看到,如果你想在店内用餐,可以进去;如果你想外带, 也可以选择免下车服务。
So if you don't want to sit in the restaurant, you can get takeout.
所以如果你不想在餐厅内用餐,可以选择打包带走。
Over here we have a pizza shop.
这边有一家比萨店。
You could also call it a pizzeria.
你也可以称它为比萨店。
This one is called Little Caesars.
这家叫做小凯撒披萨店。
The cool thing about Little Caesars is they have something called Hot and Ready, which means that they always have some pizzas made and ready for you to buy them.
小凯撒披萨店的一个很棒的特点是他们有一个叫做“热腾腾即刻取”的服务,这意味着他们总是备有现成的披萨,随时可以购买。
So if you are looking for food really quick, it's kind of like a fast food restaurant.
所以,如果你急需食物,这里有点像快餐店。
You can get food very, very quickly.
你可以非常非常快地得到食物。
Here we have a rice shop offering Asian street food.
这里有一家提供亚洲街头小吃的米店。
Very cool as well.
同样非常酷。
I have not eaten here yet, but I should do that someday, because it's probably quite tasty.
我还没在这儿吃过,但总有一天我会来尝尝,因为这里的食物可能相当美味。
Let me walk this way a little bit so you can see a bit better.
让我稍微往这边走一点,这样你能看得更清楚些。
The next place is called Marble Slab Creamery.
下一个地方叫做大理石板冰淇淋店。
And I would call this an ice cream shop.
我会称这里为一家冰淇淋店。
So if you wanted an ice cream cone or you wanted a, sundae, that would be a great place to go.
所以,如果你想吃个冰淇淋甜筒或者圣代,那儿绝对是个好去处。
But I'm just noticing that there is paper on the door.
不过我注意到门上贴着纸。
So my guess is this place is probably closed.
我猜这个地方大概已经关门了。
And if you wanted to lease this and open your own ice cream shop, you could.
如果你想租下这里并开一家自己的冰淇淋店,你可以这么做。
The next place is relatively new, and it is a restaurant called Stacked, and they specialize in breakfast.
下一个地方相对较新,是一家名为“Stacked”的餐厅,他们专营早餐。
So you can eat breakfast at a restaurant like that any time of day.
所以你可以在一天中的任何时候在那种餐厅吃早餐。
And when I say breakfast, in Ontario, Canada, a restaurant that serves breakfast usually serves eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, pancakes.
当我提到早餐时,在加拿大安大略省,供应早餐的餐厅通常会提供鸡蛋、吐司、培根、香肠和煎饼。
People probably order coffee with their breakfast.
人们可能会在早餐时点咖啡。
But that's what that restaurant would be.
但那家餐厅就是那样。
And there were people going in there.
人们进进出出。
It does say though, try our homemade burgers.
不过, 上面确实写着,试试我们的自制汉堡吧。
So their menu must be more than just breakfast.
所以他们的菜单肯定不止有早餐。
But when I see stacked, I think of a stack of pancakes and I think that's even in their logo.
但当我看到“stacked” 这个词时,我想到的是一堆煎饼,而且我觉得这甚至体现在他们的标志中了。
You can see to the left there is a stack of pancakes, a pretty common breakfast item.
你可以看到左边有一叠煎饼,这是相当常见的早餐食品。
Then we have what is Canada's only homegrown big box store.
接下来我们看到的是加拿大唯一一家本土大型零售店。
It's called Canadian Tire.
这家叫加拿大轮胎店。
A.
A. A。
Big box store is a store that sells lot of different things.
大型综合超市是一种销售多种商品的商店。
Well, first of all, the store itself, to qualify as a big box store has to be big. Canadian Tire...
首先,要成为一家大型仓储式商店,这家店本身必须规模宏大。 比如加拿大轮胎公司...
it's more than a hardware store, but it is a hardware store.
它不仅仅是一家五金店,但它确实是一家五金店。
It's more than an automotive store, but it is an automotive store.
它不仅仅是一家汽车商店,但确实是一家汽车商店。
It's more than a garden center, but it is a garden center.
它不仅仅是一个园艺中心,但它的确是一个园艺中心。
You can buy almost anything there.
在那里几乎可以买到任何东西。
If you needed, let's say you needed new brakes for your car because you want to fix them yourself and you needed, let me see, a hammer, and you needed some soil in order to grow some plants at home.
假设你需要,比方说,因为你想自己修理,需要给你的车换新刹车片,还需要一把锤子,以及一些土壤,以便在家种植植物。
You could buy all of that here.
你可以在这里买到所有这些东西。
So this would be Canadian Tire, one of Canada's homegrown big box stores.
这里是加拿大轮胎店,加拿大本土的一家大型零售连锁店。
In fact, their slogan used to be "More Than Just Tires!" I think that might still be their slogan.
事实上,他们的口号曾经是“不止于轮胎”!我觉得这可能现在还是他们的口号。
But that would be a good way to describe this store.
但这样描述这家店倒是挺合适的。
Definitely more than just tires.
绝不仅限于轮胎。
A lot more than just tires.
不仅仅是轮胎。
We're walking this way.
我们正朝这个方向走。
Let me avoid some of these cars.
让我避开这些车。
And we're walking to something that might be kind of unique to my part of Ontario, Canada.
我们正走向一个可能在我所在的加拿大安大略省部分地区颇为独特的地方。
It's something called The Beer Store.
这里是一家叫做“啤酒仓库”的店。
Until recently you could only buy beer at a government run store called The Beer Store.
直到最近,你只能在一家名为“啤酒商店”的政府经营店铺购买啤酒。
Let me go this way a little bit.
让我稍微往这边走一点。
But those laws have changed a little bit and you can now buy beer in some grocery stores.
但那些法规已有所变动,现在你可以在一些杂货店购买啤酒了。
So the government owned beer stores have started to close.
所以政府经营的啤酒商店已经开始关闭了。
This one is still open.
这家还在营业。
You can see a man looks like he's returning his empties.
你可以看到一个男子,他看起来像是在归还空瓶子。
Empties are the bottles and cans after you have drunk the beer and you can get some money back for them.
空瓶空罐是指你喝完啤酒后的瓶子和罐子,你可以把它们退回去换取一些钱。
Here, just another interesting thing.
这里还有一件有趣的事。
Over here we have a mobile dental clinic.
这边有一个流动牙科诊所。
I might also call it a mobile dental clinic.
我也可以称它为流动牙科诊所。
So it looks like if you need to go to the dentist and maybe you don't have your own dentist, where you would go to the dentist office, you might be able to go and get your teeth cleaned, maybe get a few fillings in your teeth at the mobile, dental clinic.
所以,看起来如果你需要看牙医,但可能没有自己的牙医,你会去牙科诊所,在那里你可能能够进行牙齿清洁,或者在流动牙科诊所里给牙齿补上几颗填充物。
So mobile and mobile.
如此移动,如此便捷。
We pronounce it both ways.
我们两种发音都用。
I'm not 100% sure why.
我不完全确定原因。
That's just the way it is.
事实就是如此。
Now we're walking up to just a typical grocery store.
现在我们正走向一家典型的杂货店。
It is common in Canada for grocery stores to also sell seasonal products.
在加拿大,杂货店销售季节性产品是很常见的。
In front you'll see some bags of soil.
你面前会看到一些土壤袋。
There's also some potted plants.
这里还有一些盆栽植物。
That's pretty common.
这很常见。
But normally you would go to a grocery store, to buy your groceries.
但通常你会去杂货店,购买你的日常用品。
We also sometimes call it a supermarket.
我们也常称之为超市。
It's where you buy bananas and bread and luncheon meat and frozen beans and all those kinds of things.
这是你购买香蕉、面包、午餐肉、冷冻豆子以及诸如此类物品的地方。
Okay, moving on, here we have what's called an animal hospital.
好的,接下来我们看到的是一家被称为动物医院的地方。
So this is where you would take your dog or cat or other pet if they needed to see a veterinarian.
所以,如果您的狗、猫或其他宠物需要看兽医,这里就是您该带它们来的地方。
We also just say vet. Right beside it.
我们也简称它为兽医诊所,就在它旁边。
Let me see if I can sneak through here.
让我看看能不能从这儿溜过去。
Right beside it, there's actually a pet store.
紧挨着它的是一家宠物店。
So you can go to the vet or the animal hospital if your animal needs some care.
所以,如果你的宠物需要照顾,你可以去兽医诊所或动物医院。
And then you can right away go and buy some dog food or cat food if you need some of that.
然后,如果你需要的话,可以立刻去买些狗粮或猫粮。
We also have what's called a, Booster Juice.
我们这里还有一家叫“Booster Juice”的店。
So this is a, I guess a restaurant, but really it's kind of just a juice restaurant.
所以这是一家,我想是餐厅,但实际上更像是一家果汁店。
I don't know what you would call it.
我不知道你会怎么称呼它。
It's not a cafe, it's not really a restaurant.
那不是咖啡馆,也不算是餐馆。
But if you want juice, you go to Booster Juice.
但如果你想喝果汁,就去Booster Juice吧。
And then over there in the distance, there is a Shoppers Drug Mart.
在远处那边,有一家Shoppers Drug Mart。
So a Drug Shoppers Drug mart is basically a drugstore.
所以,Shoppers Drug Mart 基本上就是一家药店。
You might also call it a pharmacy.
你也可以称之为药房。
It's a place where you would go, if you need medicine, maybe you need some painkillers because you have a headache, maybe the doctor has given you a prescription and you need to go to the drugstore or pharmacy to get that prescription filled.
这是一个你可能会去的地方,如果你需要药物,或许你需要一些止痛药来缓解头痛,或者医生已经给你开了处方,你需要去药店或药房配药。
And then two other things I wanted to look at.
还有两样东西我想看看。
This here is a bank.
这是一家银行。
Sorry to spin you around so quickly.
很抱歉这么快就把你绕晕了。
This is a bank and it also has a drive through.
这是一家银行,还设有免下车服务。
So if you need to get some money and you don't want to get out of your car or you need to deposit some money.
所以,如果你需要取钱又不想下车,或者你需要存钱。
I should use the right words here.
我应该用恰当的词语来描述。
If you need to withdraw some money or deposit some money, you could do it in the drive through or you could go into the bank.
如果你需要取钱或存钱,你可以使用免下车服务,或者直接进入银行办理。
And over here we have a gas station.
这边是一家加油站。
So in Canada, we do call them gas stations.
所以在加拿大,我们确实称它们为加油站。
I think they might be called petrol stations in other parts of the world.
我想在世界的其他地方,它们可能被称为加油站。
But if you needed to get some gas if your car is running on empty, if you needed to fill up, you would come here, you would use the gas pump, and you would fill your car up from the gas pump and then your car would be full.
但若你的车油箱见底,急需加油,你便会来到此处,使用油泵,从油泵中为爱车注入燃料,待油箱满载,车辆便能重新启程。
In English, when we say the car is full, it usually means that the gas tank is full.
在英语中,当我们说汽车满了,通常是指油箱加满了油。
That's usually what we're talking about.
通常我们说的就是这些。
Hey, thanks for, hanging out with me for about 12 minutes as I walked around.
嘿,感谢你陪我一起走了大约12分钟。
I hope you were able to learn a little bit more English.
我希望你能学到更多英语知识。
As I rattled on and rambled on a little bit about the stores and, shops I was walking in front of, and I hope you enjoyed this lesson.
当我喋喋不休地闲聊着眼前走过的商店时,希望你喜欢这堂课。
If this is your first time here, don't forget to click that red subscribe button.
如果是初次来访,别忘了点击那个红色的订阅按钮哦。
Give me a thumbs up.
给我点个赞。
Leave a comment I love reading them.
留下评论吧,我喜欢看大家的评论。
And please do consider becoming a member.
请务必考虑成为我们的会员。
If you're subscribed, the button should now say Subscribe+.
如果你已订阅,按钮现在应显示为“订阅+” 。
If you click it, you'll find out a little bit more about what being a member gets you.
点击它,你将了解更多成为会员的权益。
Thanks for watching.
感谢您的观看。
I'll see you next week with another English lesson.
下周再见,届时将带来另一堂英语课。
Bye.
再见。
来源:英语东