摘要:So the other day I was wondering, are books still useful for learning English?
So the other day I was wondering, are books still useful for learning English?
所以前几天我在想,书籍对于学习英语还有用吗?
I mean, almost everything you need can be found on the Internet.
我的意思是,几乎你需要的所有东西都可以在互联网上找到。
Are books like old fashioned books that you can open and flip the pages?
书籍是否像老式书籍一样可以打开并翻页?
Are they still useful?
它们还有用吗?
So I went online and I did a search for best books for learning English.
因此我上网搜索了学习英语的最佳书籍。
And I noticed that when the search results came up, books from a company called DK were often in the mix.
我注意到,当搜索结果出现时,一家名为 DK 的公司生产的书籍经常会出现在搜索结果中。
You would see a few of them.
您会看到其中的一些。
And I remember when my kids were little, we would check out books from DK Publishing because they made really good kids picture books where they could learn new words and see the pictures.
我记得当我的孩子还小的时候,我们会看 DK 出版公司的书,因为他们制作的儿童图画书非常棒,儿童可以通过这些书学习新单词并看到图片。
So I thought, oh, cool, they have books for learning English as well.
所以我想,哦,太酷了,他们也有学习英语的书。
And one book in particular stood out to me.
其中有一本书特别让我印象深刻。
It was the book Everyday English.
那是一本《每日英语》的书。
And I thought, you know what, I should order this book.
我想,你知道吗,我应该订购这本书。
I should order the book and then have a look at it for all of you and let you know what I think about it.
我应该订购这本书,然后为大家看一下,并让你们知道我对此的看法。
So I went to Amazon, I searched for DK Everyday English, I think.
所以我去了亚马逊,我想应该是搜索了 DK Everyday English。
And then I ordered the book and I waited for it to arrive.
然后我订购了这本书并等待它到达。
This is the Amazon delivery person bringing us our book.
这是亚马逊送货员,正在给我们送书。
So let's go get it.
所以让我们去得到它吧。
Hello, how are you?
你好吗?
Thank you very much.
非常感谢。
Have a good night.
祝你晚安。
Okay, we got the book.
好的,我们拿到了书。
Hopefully it's good.
希望它是好的。
Well, here it is.
嗯,就在这儿。
I have my trusty scissors and I have the package from Amazon.
我有我信赖的剪刀,还有来自亚马逊的包裹。
Let's open this up and I'll give you my first impressions.
让我们打开它,我会给你我的第一印象。
In English, first impressions are the first thing you think of something when you first see it.
在英语中,第一印象是指你第一次看到某物时想到的第一件事。
Oh, here it is.
噢,在这儿。
English for everyone.
人人都能学英语。
Everyday English from DK Publishing.
DK 出版的《每日英语》。
Learn and practice over 2,500 words and phrases.
学习并练习超过 2,500 个单词和短语。
And in the top corner it says with free online audio.
顶角处写着“免费在线音频”。
That's pretty cool.
这太酷了。
I like that feature.
我喜欢这个功能。
So my first impressions of the book.
这就是我对这本书的第一印象。
It's a book.
这是一本书。
Oh, there's a lot of illustrations and other things in it that will make it easy for you to understand what you are learning.
哦,里面有很多插图和其他东西,可以让你轻松理解你正在学习的内容。
So first impressions.
这是第一印象。
It looks like a pretty cool book.
它看起来是一本很酷的书。
Nice table of contents outlining conversation skills, family and relationships, eating and drinking, free time and hobbies, stories and services, work and study, getting around, oh, the home, on vacation, health and medicine, media and communication.
很好的目录,概述了谈话技巧、家庭和人际关系、饮食、空闲时间和爱好、故事和服务、工作和学习、出行、哦,还有家、度假、健康和医学、媒体和交流。
So my first impression would be that this book covers some very valuable topics.
所以我的第一印象是这本书涵盖了一些非常有价值的主题。
I would say when I look at the table of contents, there's a lot of value here.
我想说,当我查看目录时,这里有很多价值。
So there are two things I wanted to mention before we get started.
在我们开始之前我想提两件事。
number one, this is not a sponsored video.
首先,这不是赞助视频。
I used my own money to buy the book and I plan to donate it to the ESL department at my school when I'm done reviewing it.
我用自己的钱买了这本书,并计划在审阅完毕后将其捐赠给我学校的 ESL 部门。
And number two, you'll notice I'm not outside today.
第二,你会注意到我今天不在外面。
It is extremely windy outside.
外面风很大。
So windy that I would not be able to make an English lesson.
风太大了,我无法上英语课了。
So today we're inside.
所以今天我们就在室内。
So my plan in this video is to kind of talk about six different ways this book can help you or maybe not help you practice your English.
所以我计划在这段视频中谈谈这本书可以帮助你或可能无法帮助你练习英语的六种不同方式。
So I'm going to talk about reading, writing, listening, speaking, learning new vocabulary, and learning and practicing your grammar.
因此我将讨论阅读、写作、听力、口语、学习新词汇以及学习和练习语法。
So I'll take about one minute for each of those and let you know what I think.
因此,我将花大约一分钟的时间来回答这些问题,并告诉你我的想法。
Let's start by talking about reading.
我们先从谈论阅读开始吧。
I have my reading glasses on so I can, I can see the words that I can give you my opinion now.
我戴着老花镜,这样我就可以看到文字,并且可以给你我的意见。
I'll say one positive thing and one negative thing about how well this book would help you practice your reading.
关于这本书如何帮助你练习阅读,我只想说一件好事和一件坏事。
The positive thing is this.
积极的一面就是这样。
The book will often show you pictures and then have the vocabulary word beside it so that when you go to read the phrases, you can understand the words that are being used.
书中通常会向您展示图片,并在图片旁边标注词汇,以便当您阅读短语时,您就能理解所使用的单词。
When I look at the takeout and delivery section, there's a nice little vocabulary chart at the bottom.
当我查看外卖和送货部分时,底部有一张漂亮的小词汇表。
And then the phrases above actually use those vocabulary words.
然后上面的短语实际上使用了这些词汇。
So there's a good connection there between learning some new words so that you can understand when you read the phrases.
因此,学习一些新单词与您在阅读短语时能够理解的意思之间存在着良好的联系。
However, when I flip to the at the restaurant section, that section isn't as well done.
然而,当我翻到餐厅部分时,发现该部分做得不太好。
In fact, they teach you some vocabulary.
事实上,他们会教你一些词汇。
But there's a lot of phrases here that you'll be reading where they haven't taught you all the words, like reservation, to book a table.
但是这里有很多您将读到的短语,他们并没有教您所有的单词,例如“reservation”(预订),即预订餐桌。
Could I, could I have... like they're, they're teaching phrases where they could have maybe done a little better job of teaching you the words that are in those phrases.
我可以吗,我可以吗...就像他们在教短语时,他们也许可以做得更好一些,教你这些短语中的单词。
So overall, I would say I love the pictures.
所以总的来说,我会说我喜欢这些照片。
Anytime you can have a picture beside a vocabulary word when you're learning a language, that's just awesome.
当你学习一门语言时,如果你能在词汇旁边放一张图片,那就太棒了。
That gets that two thumbs up from Bob.
鲍勃对此表示赞同。
But maybe I'm being a little bit picky here.
但也许我在这儿有点挑剔。
I would like to see a little more vocabulary taught or at least an area where you can see what those words mean so you can better understand the phrases you are reading.
我希望看到教授更多的词汇,或者至少是一个你可以看到这些词的含义的区域,这样你就可以更好地理解你正在阅读的短语。
So let's talk about listening.
那么让我们来谈谈听力。
How will this book help you with your listening?
这本书将如何帮助您提高听力?
It's a book.
这是一本书。
The book doesn't talk, does it?
这本书不会说话,不是吗?
Or does it?
还是真的?
Actually, if you go online, you'll see that there is free audio for this book.
实际上,如果你上网,你会看到这本书有免费的音频。
So when you look at a page like the page I'm looking at at the supermarket, you'll notice there are little listening activities that you can do.
因此,当您查看像我在超市看到的页面这样的页面时,您会注意到您可以进行一些听力活动。
The first one 36.3.
第一个36.3。
Listen and circle the item you hear.
听录音并圈出你听到的内容。
So it's going to say the word in English and you're going to have to check off or circle the one that you hear.
所以它会用英语说出这个单词,你必须勾选或圈出你听到的单词。
I think that is awesome.
我认为这太棒了。
Oh.
哦。
36.2.
36.2.
Listen and number the sentences in the order you hear them.
听句子并按听到的顺序编号。
So basically it's taking sentences that you read in the section above and kind of testing and quizzing you on them.
所以基本上,它是根据你在上一节中读到的句子,对你进行测试和测验。
I think that's just great.
我认为这太棒了。
So you can practice your reading.
这样你就可以练习阅读。
But then once you've done some reading, you can do the free listening activities to practice your listening.
但是一旦你读了一些书,你就可以做自由的听力活动来练习你的听力。
So what would I give it?
那么我会给它什么呢?
How would I rate it on listening?
我如何评价它的听力?
Um, I have no negative comment for listening.
嗯,我听了没什么负面评价。
I think in terms of listening, I think this book does a really good job.
我认为从聆听的角度来看,这本书做得非常好。
So let's talk about speaking.
那么让我们来谈谈说话吧。
How does a book help you with your speaking?
书籍如何帮助您提高演讲水平?
Um, really the only way that a book can help you with your speaking is if you say out loud the things you are reading or the things you are hearing with the free audio component.
嗯,实际上,书籍能够帮助你提高口语的唯一方法就是,如果你大声说出你正在阅读的内容或用免费的音频组件听到的内容。
I actually think this book does a pretty good job in terms of speaking.
我实际上认为这本书在演讲方面做得相当不错。
When I'm looking at section 68 at the airport, it actually gives you some little mini practice conversation.
当我在机场查看第 68 部分时,它实际上会为您提供一些小型练习对话。
It says, our flight is delayed.
上面说,我们的航班延误了。
Typical.
典型的。
Oh, well, let's grab a coffee.
哦,好吧,我们去喝杯咖啡吧。
That's actually something you would hear at an airport.
这实际上是你在机场会听到的话。
Do you need any help?
你需要帮助吗?
How does the bag drop work?
行李托运是如何运作的?
I actually had this problem the last time I was at the airport.
我上次去机场时确实遇到过这个问题。
So I do like the idea that it's prompting you to practice these little mini conversations.
所以我确实喜欢这个想法,它促使你练习这些小型对话。
In terms of a negative, though, I would say this.
不过,从消极方面来说,我会这么说。
The audio portion I don't think makes you practice speaking enough.
我认为音频部分不足以让你进行足够的口语练习。
A lot of the audio portion would be things like listen and number the pictures in order, listen and number the sentences in order.
音频部分很多都是这样的:听并按顺序编号图片,听并按顺序编号句子。
But it doesn't always prompt you to say things out loud.
但它并不总是促使你大声说出来。
Although I'm noticing right now, section 68.11, match the sentences and say them out loud.
虽然我现在注意到,第 68.11 节,匹配句子并大声朗读。
So I guess maybe that critique was a little too early.
因此我想也许这种批评有点太早了。
So, overall, in terms of practising your speaking, I think this gets like a B+.
所以,总的来说,从练习口语方面来说,我认为这可以得到 B+ 的成绩。
I think it's hard for a book to really help you practise speaking anyway.
无论如何,我认为一本书很难真正帮助你练习口语。
So I think if you need to practise speaking, you should probably find a tutor or a speaking partner.
所以我认为如果你需要练习口语,你应该找一位导师或一个口语伙伴。
But certainly this book will help you practise the repetition, saying things out loud and those kinds of things.
但这本书肯定会帮助你练习重复、大声说话等等。
So, yeah, what did I say?
那么,是的,我说了什么?
B plus.
B 加。
B plus for speaking.
口语方面 B+。
So let's talk about writing.
那么让我们来谈谈写作。
Does this book help you practice your writing?
这本书有助于您练习写作吗?
Well, one critique I would have is that many of the practice exercises ask you to circle things or check things off.
嗯,我要提出的一个批评是,许多练习都要求你圈出一些事情或勾掉一些事情。
It's not very often that the book asks you to write something.
这本书很少要求你写一些东西。
So section 74, staying in a hotel.
第 74 节是住酒店。
We see you listen to person A and respond as person B. So that's good for speaking.
我们看到你听 A 说话,然后以 B 的身份做出回应。所以这对于说话来说很好。
听录音并圈出你听到的内容。
So you're just circling.
所以你只是在绕圈子。
Phrases: Match the sentences and say them out loud.
短语:匹配句子并大声朗读。
Listen and number the pictures in the order they are described.
听录音并按照描述的顺序对图片进行编号。
Um, but here we have use the chart to create eight sentences and say them out loud.
嗯,但在这里我们使用图表来创建 8 个句子并大声说出来。
I actually like that.
我其实很喜欢这个。
So again, maybe I was a little bit too negative too early.
所以,我可能还是太早太消极了。
They have a nice little chart.
他们有一张漂亮的小图表。
74.12 starts with, could I have a club sandwich brought to my room, please?
74.12 一开始,我可以把一份俱乐部三明治送到我的房间吗?
So you can build a little sentence there.
因此你可以在那里构造一个小句子。
Um, and I would make sure that you do actually write them.
嗯,我会确保你确实写了它们。
It might be tempting here to just say them out loud, but I would write them down as well.
也许我很想大声说出来,但我也会把它们写下来。
So maybe I will be a little critical there.
因此我可能对此有些批评。
It probably should say there.
或许应该说在那里。
Use the chart to create eight sentences.
使用图表创建八个句子。
Write them down and say them out loud.
把它们写下来并大声朗读。
So just kind of going through the staying in a hotel section.
因此,这只是关于住酒店的部分。
There's a matching.
有匹配。
So you're not practicing a lot of writing there.
所以你没有在那里练习很多写作。
Say sentences out loud.
大声说出句子。
Say the sentences out loud.
大声朗读句子。
Filling in the blanks, using the words in the panel.
使用面板中的单词填写空白。
So that's pretty good.
这非常好。
You're actually writing a word.
您实际上正在写一个单词。
But I would actually suggest you take it one step further and actually write the entire sentence in your notebook to practice your writing as well.
但我实际上建议你更进一步,把整个句子写在你的笔记本上,以练习你的写作。
So I think in terms of writing, I. I know I did I give a B plus for something and did I give, like a one up?
所以我认为在写作方面,我知道我是否给了某件事 B 加分,我是否给了一分呢?
I don't know what my grading scale is here, but I would say B for writing.
我不知道我的评分标准是什么,但我会说写作是 B。
I would say I'm going to give it a B for writing.
我想说我会给它的写作打 B。
Okay, let's talk a little bit about how well the book will help you learn vocabulary.
好的,让我们来谈谈这本书如何帮助你学习词汇。
I would say that in some sections it doesn't do a good job at all.
我想说的是,在某些部分它做得根本不好。
And in other sections it's amazing.
其他部分也同样令人惊叹。
So in section 80, health and medicine, it basically shows you all the parts of the body.
因此,在第 80 部分“健康和医学”中,它基本上向您展示了身体的所有部位。
It talks about illness and injury, and every word is clearly linked to an image.
它谈论疾病和伤害,每个词都清晰地与图像相关联。
So that is amazing.
这真是太神奇了。
Staying in a hotel.
住在酒店。
Did that section have.
那一节有吗。
Yes.
是的。
At the bottom of page 186, section 74.9, vocabulary at the hotel.
在第186页底部,第74.9节,酒店的词汇。
I love those little tidbits of vocabulary.
我喜欢这些小小的词汇。
Just those little boxes that help you with the section that you are in.
这些小方框可以帮助您了解您所在的部分。
And again, I love it when a word has an image beside it.
再次强调,我喜欢单词旁边配有图像。
So vocabulary.
所以词汇量很大。
Sometimes it does it really well.
有时它确实能做得很好。
Sometimes it might leave you wanting more, but overall I would give it an A- for vocabulary.
有时它可能会让您想要更多,但总的来说,我会给它的词汇量打 A-。
So grammar.
所以语法。
How well will this book teach you grammar?
这本书能多好地教你语法?
Well, this book does not explicitly teach you grammar.
嗯,这本书没有明确地教你语法。
It's not meant to be a grammar book.
它并不是一本语法书。
So what will happen is you will kind of learn grammar through immersion.
所以你将通过沉浸式的方式学习语法。
As you read the phrases and learn the phrases, the hope is that you will learn some grammar.
当你阅读和学习短语时,希望你能学到一些语法。
So I would say this is not the best book for learning grammar.
所以我想说这不是学习语法的最佳书籍。
You will learn a lot of phrases and in those phrases you will see how the sentence is put together and that will help you a little bit.
你会学到很多短语,在这些短语中你会看到句子是如何组合在一起的,这会对你有一点帮助。
My recommendation has always been buy a book written in your own language that teaches English grammar.
我的建议一直是买一本用你自己的语言编写的教授英语语法的书。
That can be very, very helpful.
这将会非常非常有帮助。
So I would probably give this book like a C minus for grammar.
所以我可能会给这本书的语法打 C 减。
But I think I'm being unfair because this book isn't designed to teach you verb tenses and how to use phrasal verbs.
但我认为我不公平,因为这本书的目的不是教你动词时态和如何使用短语动词。
There's actually another book for that I think from the same company for phrasal verbs.
事实上,我认为同一家公司还有另一本关于短语动词的书。
So anyways, not meant to teach grammar, so I feel like I'm judging it a little too harshly.
所以无论如何,这并不是为了教授语法,所以我觉得我的评判有点太严厉了。
But yes, I would give it a C minus for grammar.
但是是的,我会给它的语法打 C 减。
So here are my final thoughts on this book.
以下是我对这本书的最终想法。
English for Everyone Everyday English from DK Publishing.
DK 出版的《人人都懂的英语:每日英语》。
I would say overall this is a good book.
我想说总体来说这是一本好书。
I do think books are still a useful tool when learning a language.
我确实认为书籍在学习语言时仍然是一种有用的工具。
What I like about the book is that the topics it covers, remember when I read over the table of contents were just great topics.
我喜欢这本书的原因是它涵盖的主题,记得当我读过目录时,它们都是很棒的主题。
You know, stores and services, work and study, on vacation, media and relations.
你知道,商店和服务、工作和学习、度假、媒体和关系。
I think the power went out briefly there.
我认为那里曾短暂停电过。
It's again it's quite windy outside today, so that's why I'm inside making this video.
今天外面又刮大风了,所以我呆在室内拍摄这个视频。
But anyways, the topics it covers are quite well done.
但无论如何,它涵盖的主题相当出色。
Also losing my train of thought here as the lights go on and off a few more times.
由于灯光亮了又灭了几次,我的思路也中断了。
But maybe you didn't believe me that it's too windy outside, but it's so windy it's affecting the electricity.
不过你们可能不相信我说外面风太大了,但是风太大影响到电了。
So anyways, the topics are good.
所以无论如何,这些主题都是好的。
I think that if you look at it it has I think 96 different sections.
我认为如果你看一下它,它有 96 个不同的部分。
I think if you were to plan yes, 96.
我想如果你计划的话,是的,96。
If you were to plan to study this over 96 days, I think that would be quite manageable and it would be very worthwhile.
如果你计划在 96 天内学习这个问题,我认为这将是相当容易实现的,而且非常值得。
I should mention as well that it does have the answers at the back for all of the activities that you can do.
我还应该提到,它的后面确实提供了您可以进行的所有活动的答案。
Again, this is not a sponsored video, but I do think this is a pretty cool book.
再说一次,这不是赞助视频,但我确实认为这是一本很酷的书。
They do have a lot of other ones as well, but I like this one because it's everyday English and they do deliver on that.
他们确实也有很多其他的,但我喜欢这个,因为它是日常英语,他们确实做到了这一点。
It's definitely a good book to learn Everyday English, like section 72 on vacation just will teach you a whole bunch of really good words that you'll need to know.
这绝对是一本学习日常英语的好书,例如第 72 部分“假期”会教你一大堆你需要知道的非常好的单词。
Anyways, I'm Bob the Canadian.
不管怎样,我是加拿大人鲍勃。
This was my first book review.
这是我的第一篇书评。
I think it was a little rough.
我觉得它有点粗糙。
I think I could have done a better job, but we'll see.
我认为我可以做得更好,但我们拭目以待。
Maybe I'll do another one in the future, but thanks for watching.
也许我将来会再做一次,但还是感谢您的观看。
If this is your first time here, don't forget to click that red subscribe button, give me a thumbs up and leave a comment below.
如果这是您第一次来这里,请不要忘记单击红色的订阅按钮,给我点赞并在下面留下评论。
What do you think?
你怎么认为?
Are books still useful for learning English, or have they been replaced with the Internet as a great source of learning?
书籍对于学习英语仍然有用吗?或者它们已经被互联网取代,成为重要的学习来源?
Anyways, thanks for watching.
无论如何,感谢您的观看。
I'll see you in a few days with another English lesson.
几天后我将带着另一堂英语课来见你。
Bye.
再见。
来源:英语东