摘要:Rain comes down, there's nothing you can do about it, just, you know, give in to it and enjoy it.
Water is this sort of uncontrollable force.
水就是这样一种不可控的力量。
Rain comes down, there's nothing you can do about it, just, you know, give in to it and enjoy it.
雨落下来,你对此无能为力,只能顺其自然,享受它。
There's a real healing, comforting power about nature and being outside.
大自然及其户外环境确实具有一种治愈和抚慰的力量。
When you think back over some of your best memories, how many of them took place in an outside space?
当你回想一些最好的回忆时,其中有几段是在户外发生的?
What we need on a rainy day is an incentive to go outside.
在雨天,我们所需要的是一个走出户外的动力。
And I think I might have just the thing.
我想我正好有办法。
Host: Please give a very warm welcome to Hazel Cottle.
请热烈欢迎海泽尔·科特尔。
(Applause and cheers) Chris Anderson: Hello, I'm Chris Anderson, head of TED.
(掌声和欢呼)克里斯安德森:大家好,我是克里斯安德森,TED的负责人。
We believe that ideas change everything.
我们相信思想可以改变一切。
And that anyone in the world, including you, can have an amazing idea.
而世界上任何人,包括你,都有可能产生一个非凡的想法。
which is why we've embarked on a search to uncover the best ideas you've never heard of.
这就是为什么我们开始了一项寻找那些你从未听说过的最佳想法的行动。
Now an idea by itself won't achieve anything.
现在,一个想法本身是无法取得任何成就的。
But what if it was presented on a stage and secretly in the audience there were experts and mentors and investors?
但如果这个想法在舞台上展示,而观众中暗藏着专家、导师和投资者,那情况就大不相同了。
Then all bets are off.
那么一切就都有可能了。
From TED, this is My Big Idea.
来自TED,这是我的大想法。
[My Big Idea] HC: Hello, I'm Hazel Cottle and this is my big idea.
我是Hazel Cottle,这是我的大想法。
[Somerset, UK] I'm an occupational therapist and I work for a hospice.
我是职业治疗师,我在临终关怀中心工作。
Palliative and end-of-life care has become a real sort of passion and interest of mine.
姑息治疗和临终关怀已真正成为我的一大热情与兴趣所在。
One experience that started off for me was that we had a gentleman who was in his last couple of days of life, and his daughters were coming in shifts, spending 24 hours a day with him.
有一次, 有一位先生即将走到生命的最后几天,他的女儿们轮流陪护,每天24小时在他身边。
We wheeled him down the corridor outside, and as soon as he was outside, his whole being just relaxed.
我们推着他穿过走廊来到户外,刚一到外面, 他整个人立刻放松下来。
He could feel the breeze on his face.
他能感受到微风拂面。
It was just like a magical little sort of 20 minutes in the last two days of him being alive.
这就像是他生命最后两天里一段神奇的20分钟小插曲。
So yeAh, it's just got this ability to make people feel themselves again.
所以是的,它就有这种让人重新感受到自我的能力。
The reason I wanted to give a TED talk, I think, we talk about this idea of mine at home.
我想在TED演讲的原因,我觉得,是因为我们在家经常讨论我的这个想法。
It's just been, you know, something in our family is like, well, wouldn't it be great if that existed?
我们家里一直在讨论这个想法, 你知道的,对我们家来说, 这就像是在想,要是那东西存在该多好啊?
I'm hoping that there will be enough people who see it and go, "Ah, I could do something with that.
我期待有足够多的人看到它,并感叹:“啊,我能用它做点什么。我知道需要什么。”
I know what's needed." It's just got an inherent kind of joyful aspect to it, I think.
“我知道需要什么。”我觉得,它本身就带有一种与生俱来的愉悦感。
We consider ourselves to be an outdoorsy family.
我们认为自己是一个热爱户外活动的家庭。
We do some kayaking as a family, go out and walk and cycle.
我们一家人会一起划独木舟,出去散步和骑自行车。
Often, our summer holidays are based around going to mountains, usually in France, and throwing ourselves down hills on bikes.
通常, 我们的暑假活动围绕着前往山区,尤其是法国的山脉, 然后骑着自行车从山坡上冲下来。
It's nice because you get to use the chairlift to take you up, and then you just have to ride down.
因为你可以乘坐缆车上山,然后只需骑车下山。
It was so hot, so we'd have to just get in the river, we just have all our cycling stuff on, just ditch the bikes on the bank and climb down into the river and cool off, which was really lovely.
天气太热了, 所以我们只好下河游泳,我们穿着所有的骑行装备,把自行车丢在岸边, 然后爬下河去凉快一下,这真是太棒了。
Certainly my children connect with each other much better when they're outside.
当然,我的孩子们在户外时彼此之间的联系会更加紧密。
The kids just were playing around with the cameras, and they were kind of taking pictures of each other, like, you know, holding the moon as it was going down over the lake.
孩子们正拿着相机四处玩耍,他们相互拍照, 就像你知道的那样,仿佛在托举着月亮, 随着它在湖面上缓缓落下。
It was just lovely.
它真是太可爱了。
It was so nice.
真是太好了。
Kids, are you ready to go?
孩子们,你们准备好走了吗?
Kid: Yeah.
孩子:是的。
HC: Come on then.
好吧,走吧。
If they're really grumpy, it sort of changes within 30 seconds of being outside.
如果他们真的很不高兴,在外面待上30秒左右就会有所改变。
If you push through that grumpiness of, come on, put your coat on, put your wellies on, you know, grumble, grumble.
如果你能坚持过那段不情愿的时光,催促着:“来吧, 穿上外套,穿上雨靴,”尽管他们嘟嘟囔囔。
As soon as they get outside, oh, that's it, there's something to look at, there's a leaf to pick up, there's sticks to battle with.
他们一出门,哇,这就对了,眼前有东西可看,有树叶可以捡起,还有树枝可以玩耍。那些树枝瞬间变成了一把剑、一根魔法棒、一根权杖或一支长矛,或者其他什么东西。
The stick becomes a sword or the stick becomes a magic wand or a staff or a spear or something.
这根棍子变成了一把剑,或者变成了一根魔杖、手杖或长矛之类的东西。
So there's a sort of endless possibilities of reinventing a stick.
所以,一根棍子有无穷无尽的再创造可能性。
There are so many research studies that will show how good it is for you to spend time outdoors.
有无数的研究表明,花时间在户外对你有多好。
And the positive power on your well-being.
以及对您幸福感的积极影响。
The heaviness of life isn't quite so heavy when you're outside.
生活中的重担在户外时就不会那么沉重。
Heather Elliott: There's a strong relationship between children playing outdoors and child development.
希瑟·艾略特:儿童在户外玩耍与他们的成长发育之间存在着密切的联系。
Children are climbing into trees and seeing how high they can go and that kind of thing.
孩子们在爬树,看看自己能爬多高,诸如此类的活动。
It's very good for them.
这对他们非常有益。
They develop their climbing skills, their walking skills, all kinds of areas like that.
他们发展了攀爬技巧、行走技巧,以及诸如此类的各种能力。
And also it's good for them emotionally if they begin to enjoy and succeed in what they're trying to do.
如果他们开始享受并成功完成自己努力追求的目标,这对他们的情感发展也有益处。
And using those physical skills ties in with the emotional side of things.
而使用这些身体技能也与情感方面息息相关。
HC: I don't think people do spend enough time out of doors.
我认为人们户外活动的时间不够。
I think our modern lives, we've made ourselves very comfortable indoors.
我认为我们的现代生活让我们在室内变得非常舒适。
Existing with the natural environment is just a really powerful health tool, mostly a free health tool.
与自然环境共存只是一个非常强大的健康工具,基本上是一个免费的健康工具。
You know, just step outside the door and you're there.
你知道,只需迈出门槛,便已置身其中。
TV: An awful lot of rain.
电视:雨下得很大。
Plenty of blustery showers and persistent rain.
大量的狂风骤雨和持续降雨。
Sunshine, not so much of that this week.
本周阳光不多。
It's often going to be cloudy, and it's going to be turning a bit wetter, too.
经常会有云,而且还会变得有点潮湿。
Lizzie Kendon: The UK weather is hugely variable from season to season and year to year.
莉兹·肯登:英国的天气在不同季节和年份之间变化极大。
In the autumn and the winter, we get some of the really heavy rainfall coming from low-pressure systems that track across the UK.
在秋冬季节,我们会遭遇来自横扫英国的低压系统带来的强降雨。
In the summer, we tend to get these very heavy, thundery downpours, but that varies very much depending on where you are.
夏季, 我们往往会遭遇这些极为猛烈、伴有雷声的倾盆大雨,但这种情况的差异性很大, 主要取决于你所处的位置。
So if you live in northern Scotland, it's more than 200 days a year when it's raining.
所以如果你住在苏格兰北部,一年中有超过200天在下雨。
HC: The problem is that we want to spend a lot of time outdoors.
HC:问题在于,我们希望在户外度过大量时间。
We know that it's really good for us.
我们知道这对我们真的很有益。
But we're maybe inhibited by the rain.
但也许我们因为下雨而有所顾忌。
HE: Interacting with the elements is hugely important in outdoor play, but I think there's always been some reluctance on adults' part to go outside if it's pouring with rain or if it's very wet.
与自然元素互动在户外游戏中非常重要,但我觉得大人总是有些不愿意在大雨倾盆或非常潮湿的时候外出。
Children need to find out for themselves what the weather does, what the different elements do outside.
孩子们需要自己去发现天气会如何变化,各种自然元素在户外会如何表现。
So one day in sunny you won't have a puddle.
所以晴天的时候你就不会有水坑了。
But if it's rained overnight, you'd probably want to be out there jumping in that puddle to see how the water disperses.
但如果下了一夜的雨,你可能会想出去跳进那个水坑,看看水是如何散开的。
If you go on another day and the water is deeper, what happens then?
如果改天再去,水更深了,会发生什么呢?
Does it go over the top of your wellies?
会漫过你的雨靴顶部吗?
That kind of thing.
那样的东西。
Children need to learn in that kind of way.
孩子们需要以那种方式学习。
HC: We're keeping ourselves inside when we want to be outside, and it's just because of rain falling.
我们想出去却不得不待在室内,仅仅是因为下雨。
So maybe we need to embrace that.
所以也许我们需要接受这一点。
Maybe we need to harness that in some way.
也许我们需要以某种方式利用这一点。
I don't think our outside spaces are necessarily optimized for the weather that we get in this country.
我认为我们的户外空间未必针对我国气候进行了优化设计。
You know, play areas for children, they're sort of fair-weather spaces, really.
你知道,儿童游乐区,它们实际上算是适合晴天的场所。
Maybe we need to just accept, yep, this is a rainy country, this is what we've got to work with.
或许我们需要接受,没错,这是一个多雨的国家,这就是我们面临的现实。
Let's work with it, let's use it and make it central to the reason for being outside.
让我们利用它,让它成为我们外出的主要原因。
I think sharing ideas is the best way to progress things and evolve.
我认为分享想法是推动事物进步和发展的最佳方式。
The idea of getting up on stage and doing a TED Talk is terrifying.
站在台上做一场TED演讲的想法令我感到恐惧。
I think things often sound better in my head.
我觉得事情在脑子里听起来总是更好。
There's a fair amount of homework.
作业量相当不少。
It's going to be a very early start for me on Wednesday morning.
周三早上我得早早开始。
Trying not to fit into a mold of what I think a TED Talk should be like, and just trying to be myself.
努力摆脱我心目中TED演讲应有的模式,只做真实的自己。
It's a bit of a test of myself and my nerve.
这是一次对我自己和勇气的考验。
It's about having some confidence in an idea and running with it, and then being open to what comes back.
它关乎对一个想法有信心并付诸实践,然后对反馈持开放态度。
It's quite a novel thing to do, to share something that could go sort of far and wide.
分享一些可能广泛传播的东西,是一件相当新鲜的事。
[Two weeks later] [Brighton] All of a sudden we're here, landed in Brighton yesterday.
两周后 [布赖顿] 突然间我们就到了这里,昨天刚抵达布赖顿。
And then today is TED Talk day.
然后今天就是TED演讲日。
I am buzzed and tired and energized and excited all at the same time.
我既兴奋又疲惫,同时又充满活力和激动。
CA: It's time for TED.
到了TED的时间了。
HC: My fear is that I walk out, and I just lose the power of speech.
我的担心是,一旦我走上台,就会失去说话的能力。
And I can't in any way impart what I want to impart.
而且我无法以任何方式传达我想传达的内容。
But I don't think that will happen.
但我认为那不会发生。
I don't feel like that will happen.
我不觉得那会发生。
I'm excited to hear what other people think about the idea.
我期待听到别人对这个想法的看法。
And other people will go, "Well actually, I've been thinking the same thing and I reckon we can do this and I reckon this would work." So yeah, that's like a whole box that I haven't even opened in my head yet.
而且其他人会说:“其实,我也有同样的想法, 我认为我们可以做到, 我认为这行得通。 ”所以是的,这就像一个我连想都没想过的全新领域。
You know, we'll just get this bit done, get this day done.
你知道吗,我们先把这一部分完成,今天的事情做完。
And then see if the box gets full of stuff to open.
然后看看盒子里是否装满了待拆封的东西。
请热烈欢迎海泽尔·科特尔。
(Applause and cheers) HC: Picture the last time you felt truly alive.
(掌声与欢呼声中)HC:想象一下你最近一次感到真正活着的时刻。
Were you inside, or were you outside?
你当时是在室内,还是室外?
Being outside more of the time every day is just better, isn't it?
每天更多时间待在户外确实更好,不是吗?
But what happens when it rains?
但是下雨的时候会发生什么呢?
Our community spaces are often deserted when it's raining.
我们的社区空间在下雨时经常被闲置。
Many's the time that I've got my kids into their waterproofs, taken them to the park, and we're the only ones there.
我多次给孩子们穿上防水服,带他们去公园, 结果只有我们一家在那里。
This is where Puddle Parks come in.
这就是雨水公园派上用场的地方。
The forecast for the weekend is grim, but you're looking out of the window and you're willing it to rain really hard this time.
周末的天气预报很不乐观,但你正望着窗外, 希望这次能下一场大雨。
It starts to, so you're messaging your friends and your family, you're saying, "Do you think this is enough rain for it to be running?" You all decide it is.
雨开始下了, 于是你给朋友和家人发消息,问道:“你们觉得这雨够大吗, 能让它运转起来吗? ” 大家一致认为够了。
So you get on your coats, your ponchos, you grab your umbrellas, put your boots on, and you head out to your local Puddle Park.
于是你们穿上外套, 披上雨衣,拿起雨伞, 穿上靴子,然后前往你们当地的水坑公园。
You spent some time jumping up and down in the puddle-collecting paving.
你花了一些时间在收集雨水的路面上跳上跳下。
You've been playing with some pumps and some crank handles that will move the water around in different ways.
你一直在玩一些水泵和手摇柄,它们可以以不同的方式移动水。
And now you're watching as the rain water is being diverted through channels that are flowing down through wonderfully landscaped flowerbeds.
此刻,你正注视着雨水被引导通过一条条水道,这些水道蜿蜒穿过精心设计的花坛,缓缓流淌而下。
You and your friend find Pooh sticks like, as in Winnie the Pooh, just to be clear.
你和朋友找到了类似《小熊维尼》里的"波普棒",这里要说明一下。
(Laughter) You set them off at the top for a race.
(笑声)你们在顶部把它们放好开始比赛。
They're flying down, your stick goes left and gets get stuck where somebody's closed the little sluice gate.
它们飞快地向下冲,你的树枝向左偏去,卡在了有人关闭的小闸门那里。
Your friend's stick goes over a mini waterfall, it goes around some obstacles, narrowly misses a siphon where the rainwater is disappearing underground completely, and it comes out at the bottom to win the race.
你朋友的树枝越过了一个小型瀑布,绕过了一些障碍物, 险些撞上了一个虹吸管, 那里的雨水完全消失在地下,最终它从底部出来赢得了比赛。
You're just about to go for a rematch when you notice something among the plants.
你正准备再来一局时,注意到植物中有什么东西。
Did anyone else see it?
还有其他人看见吗?
It looked like a light.
它看起来像一束光。
Yes, it was a light.
是的,它是一束光。
And there's more lights.
而且有更多的灯。
They're all over the Puddle Park.
它们遍布在整个水坑公园。
And now they're changing color from red to blue to green to purple.
现在它们正从红色变为蓝色,再变为绿色,最后变成紫色。
Amazing.
了不起。
And it's raining a bit harder now.
现在雨下得大了一些。
And suddenly you're hearing music and sounds coming from different places in the Puddle Park.
突然间,你听到音乐和各种声音从水坑公园的不同角落传来。
And actually, because you're there on a completely torrential downpour day, some previously unnoticed things have started moving, and they're powered by hidden hydroelectric motors that are underground.
实际上, 由于你身处在一个完全倾盆大雨的日子,一些先前未被注意的事物开始移动,它们由地下隐藏的水力发电机驱动。
Part of the magic of a Puddle Park is that the more sophisticated features only operate in heavy rain, so you start anticipating rainy days and wondering if there's enough rain to make the light up, singing, spinning water feature thing run.
雨洼公园的魅力之一在于,那些更高级的功能只有在大雨中才会运行,因此你会开始期待下雨天,并且想知道雨量是否足够让那个会发光、唱歌、旋转的水景装置运转起来。
I think this could mean that we all started to look forward to rainy days, rather than seeing them as a barrier to getting out and having fun.
我认为这可能意味着我们都开始期待下雨天,而不是将其视为外出玩耍的障碍。
Puddle Parks needs collaborators.
雨 puddle 公园需要合作伙伴。
We need science and technology, art, sculpture, engineering to bring sustainable and accessible and innovative Puddle Parks to life for everybody.
我们需要科学、技术、艺术、雕塑和工程学的力量,共同打造可持续、易达且创新的“水坑公园” , 让每个人都能体验到它的魅力。
So that next time it rains, you choose not to stay in.
以便下次下雨时,你选择不待在室内。
You'd step outside, embrace the weather and start to feel a magical difference.
你会走出户外,拥抱天气,开始感受到一种奇妙的转变。
Thank you.
谢谢。
(Cheers and applause) I've got to sort of digest it now.
(欢呼和掌声)我现在得消化一下了。
It was over in a flash.
它转瞬即逝。
I feel like I am a step closer to actually seeing it.
我觉得我离亲眼见到它又近了一步。
You know, to actually seeing a real Puddle Park, which is really ... It would be so great.
你知道吗,能够亲眼见到一个真正的“水坑公园”,那真是……太棒了。能亲眼目睹一个,那感觉一定非常美妙。
It would be so great to see one in real life.
亲眼看到一个真的会很棒。
You think, "I think I can do that," but you never quite sure if you'll actually pull it off.
你心想,“我觉得我能行”,但你从不确定自己是否真的能做到。
I feel like I have pulled it off, so that's good.
我感觉我做到了,这很好。
That's good to know.
这消息不错,值得记住。
Put that in the pocket.
把那记在心里。
[Four weeks later] [Somerset] (Phone ringing) CA: Lovely to see you, Hazel, how are you?
四周后 [萨默塞特] (电话铃响)CA:很高兴见到你,海泽尔,你怎么样?
HC: I'm really good, thank you.
HC: 我很好,谢谢。
CA: I want to introduce you to someone who I think you'll be interested to meet.
我想把你介绍给一个人,我认为你会对他感兴趣的。
He's an amazing architect and a designer, and he's done so many remarkable hotels, award shows, sets on Broadway.
他是一位杰出的建筑师和设计师,参与设计了许多卓越的酒店、颁奖典礼以及百老汇的舞台布景。
He designed the TED Theater in Vancouver, which is an incredible theater.
他设计了温哥华的TED剧院,那是一个令人惊叹的剧院。
He has a team of more than 200 people working for him in New York and elsewhere in the world, and he has a special passion for playgrounds.
他在纽约及世界各地拥有一支超过200人的团队为他工作,并且他对游乐场有着特别的激情。
And he's seen your talk.
而且他看过你的演讲。
I'd like to introduce you to David Rockwell.
我想介绍你认识大卫·洛克威尔。
HC: Amazing.
HC:太棒了。
[New York, USA] David Rockwell: Hazel, nice to meet you.
[美国,纽约] 大卫·洛克威尔:海泽尔,很高兴见到你。
HC: Lovely to meet you.
HC: 很高兴见到你。
DR: I hope Chris didn't undersell that in the four decades of us doing stuff, the most meaningful project has been a playground project, which was based on creative play and bringing kids to get out of linear play.
DR: 希望克里斯没有低估这一点, 在我们四十年的合作中,最有意义的项目是一个游乐场项目,它基于创意游戏, 旨在让孩子们摆脱线性玩耍方式。 这个项目对我来说意义非凡。
So it's so near and dear to my heart.
所以这件事对我来说非常亲切和重要。
And I was kind of blown away by your video and your idea.
你的视频和创意让我颇为震撼。
It's pretty amazing.
相当了不起。
HC: Thank you.
谢谢你。
What I was going to suggest is we spend a week working intensely with you.
我原本想提议的是,我们花一周时间与您紧密合作。
HC: Right.
HC:对。
And then we work to turn it into a presentation that I believe will help persuade local authorities and other people to understand how important and how significant it can be.
然后,我们努力将其转化为一份演示文稿,我相信这将有助于说服地方政府和其他人理解它的重要性和深远意义。
HC: That would be amazing.
那将非常棒。
That would be so valuable.
那将极为宝贵。
That's so kind.
真是太贴心了。
DR: Playgrounds are one of those things that I think touch us in our most personal, creative place.
游乐场是那些能触动我们最个人、最富有创造力的地方的事物之一。
So I'm glad you got it together to put that idea out in the world.
所以我很高兴你能够把那个想法呈现给世界。
HC: I don't think you're ever too old for a playground, you know?
我觉得你永远不会太老,不适合去游乐场,你知道吗?
DR: No.
医生:没有。
HC: No.
HC:没有。
It's an absolute gift.
这简直是天赐之物。
Just wonderful.
只是精彩。
Thank you so much.
非常感谢。
[Hazel and David's team are currently working together] [on the first Puddle Parks concept] [She hopes to see one in her local village soon ... ]
[海泽尔与戴维的团队目前正携手合作] [致力于首个“水坑公园” 概念] [她期待不久能在自己的家乡见到这样的公园...]
来源:英语东