摘要:Hello and welcome to CNN 10, your daily 10 minutes of news where I simply tell you the what, letting you decide what to think.
Hello and welcome to CNN 10, your daily 10 minutes of news where I simply tell you the what, letting you decide what to think.
你好,欢迎收看CNN 10,这是一档每日10分钟的新闻节目, 在这里我只告诉你发生了什么, 由你自己决定如何思考。
I'm Coy Wire here in San Antonio, home of the 2025 NCAA Men's Final Four, where a national champion will be crowned tonight.
我是Coy Wire, 在圣安东尼奥, 这里是2025年NCAA男子四强赛的举办地,今晚将诞生全国冠军。
It has been so nice to meet some of you while I've been here.
在这里遇到你们当中的有些人真是太好了。
Great people, great food.
优秀的人,美味的食物。
This place is pretty awesome.
这个地方相当不错。
We're going to start today with some American history.
今天我们将从一段美国历史开始。
Behind me is the Alamo.
我身后便是阿拉莫。
In 1836, the Battle of the Alamo became a pivotal event in Texas's fight for independence from Mexico.
1836年,阿拉莫战役成为德克萨斯争取从墨西哥独立的关键事件。
On February 23rd, Mexican forces, led by General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, began a 13-day siege of the fort.
2月23日,由安东尼奥·洛佩斯·德·桑塔·安纳将军率领的墨西哥军队,对要塞展开了为期13天的围攻。
The outnumbered Alamo defenders led by James Bowie, William Travis, and even famed frontiersman Davy Crockett eventually were overpowered, but the defeat galvanized the rest of Texas.
人数占劣势的阿拉莫守军在詹姆斯·鲍伊、威廉·特拉维斯以及著名的拓荒者戴维·克罗克特的带领下, 最终被击溃,但这场失败却激发了德克萨斯其余地区的斗志。
Later that year, they'd win their independence, and remember the Alamo became a famous battle cry during the Mexican-American War of 1846 to 1848.
同年, 他们赢得了独立,而“勿忘阿拉莫” 成为了1846至1848年美墨战争中的一句著名战斗口号。
Today, the Alamo is Texas's only UNESCO World Heritage Site and most visited landmark.
如今,阿拉莫是德克萨斯州唯一的联合国教科文组织世界遗产地,也是最受欢迎的地标。
It's in the midst of a $550 million enhancement effort that will open in 2027, complete with a 4D theater and 5,000 artifacts, telling the Alamo's full 300-year history, from indigenous history to the Texas Revolution and civil rights movement.
它正处于一项耗资5.5亿美元的提升工程中, 将于2027年开放, 配备有4D影院和5000件文物,讲述阿拉莫完整300年的历史, 从原住民历史到德克萨斯革命和民权运动。
Now to an issue affecting students and educators in schools everywhere.
现在来看看一个影响各地学校学生和教育工作者的问题。
The debate over banning cell phones from the classroom.
关于禁止手机进入课堂的争论。
Phone-free schools are becoming more common across the U.S.
无手机学校在美国变得越来越普遍。
Several states have introduced policies that ban or restrict cell phone use in schools.
多个州已出台政策,禁止或限制在学校内使用手机。
With more than a dozen other states and Washington, D.C., introducing statewide legislation to ban or restrict them in the future.
还有十几个州和华盛顿特区正在引入全州范围的立法,以在未来禁止或限制手机使用。
The issue is a rare instance of bipartisanship, uniting state leaders on both sides of the political aisle.
这一议题罕见地展现了跨党派合作,将政治两极的州领导人团结在一起。
Legislators have pointed to harmful mental health impacts from smartphone use to justify the bans.
立法者指出智能手机使用对心理健康的负面影响,以此作为禁令的合理依据。
And with screen time rising among teens, those in favor of phone bans say they lead to fewer distractions in the classroom.
而且随着青少年的屏幕使用时间增加,支持禁止手机的人士表示,这会导致课堂上分心的情况减少。
Our Pamela Brown met with students at a high school in Arlington, Virginia, where students are required to put their phones inside magnetic locking pouches every morning.
我们的帕梅拉·布朗在弗吉尼亚州阿灵顿的一所高中与学生们会面,该校要求学生每天早上将手机放入磁性锁袋中。
Here's what some of them have to think about the policy.
以下是一些学生对该政策的看法。
Raise your hand if you're a fan of this new phone-free policy at the school.
若您支持学校新实施的无手机政策,请举手。
It's complicated.
情况很复杂。
This Virginia high school looks like any other during passing periods, but notice one thing's missing.
这所弗吉尼亚州的高中在课间休息时看起来和其他学校并无二致,但请注意, 有一个东西不见了。
I remember the first day I was sitting in physics, my phone was locked up in my back and I kept reaching for it, but I couldn't.
我记得第一天上物理课时,我的手机被锁在书包里, 我不断伸手去摸,却够不着。
And the only thing I can do is sit on my computer and listen.
我唯一能做的就是坐在电脑前认真听讲。
Wakefield High is a guinea pig of sorts.
某种程度上,Wakefield高中就像一只实验用的小白鼠。
Students are expected to store their phones in this magnetic locking pouch throughout the day.
学生们被要求全天将手机存放在这种磁性锁扣的袋子中。
At first, there was resistance.
起初,学生们对此有抵触情绪。
People were putting dents and holes in the wall.
人们在墙上留下了凹痕和洞。
There are tables we had to get fixed.
有些桌子我们不得不修。
Right after we got them, when I walked into the cafeteria, all you hear is like the bang.
我们刚拿到这些桌子不久,我走进食堂时,听到的全是砰砰的响声。
Greg Cabana, a government teacher at Wakefield, noticed it too.
格雷格·卡巴纳,韦克菲尔德中学的一位政治课教师,也注意到了这一现象。
The fact that they're banging pouches around the cafeteria trying to unlock their phone, this is proving our point right here of how meaningful and how powerful that phone is.
他们正在食堂里猛敲手机袋, 试图解锁手机,这恰恰证明了我们的观点:手机是多么有意义且强大。
Cabana's been advocating for stricter regulations on phones for years after feeling like his role as an educator was secondary to being the phone police.
卡巴纳多年来一直主张对手机实施更严格的监管,因为他感到自己作为教育者的角色被降格为“手机警察”。
As a teacher, it was just daily judgment calls.
作为一名教师,这只不过是每天的判断罢了。
Put your phone away. Put your phone away.
把你的手机收起来。把你的手机收起来。
Should I say something to the student?
我应该对那位学生说些什么吗?
Should I keep on teaching?
我应该继续讲课吗?
Should I talk to them in the hallway?
我该在走廊上和他们交谈吗?
Is it worth it?
值得吗?
It may be too soon to fully understand the impact of phones on academic performance, especially talking to this group of high-performing students.
可能现在就完全理解手机对学业成绩的影响还为时过早,尤其是对于这群表现优异的学生来说。
I think it depends on who you were before the phone policy.
我认为这取决于你在手机政策实施前是什么样的学生。
But other benefits inside the classroom are clear.
但教室内的其他好处是显而易见的。
Even just picking it up for a small time can take away from your learning experience.
即便只是短暂地拿起手机,也可能削弱你的学习体验。
It's not a small improvement.
这并非微小的改进。
It is a dramatic improvement back to engaging, fun teaching with student interaction.
这是一个巨大的改进,回到了互动性强、有趣的教学方式。
The 2023 Surgeon General's report says up to 95% of kids 13 to 17 use social media.
2023年 surgeon general 的报告指出,13至17岁的孩子中,高达95%使用社交媒体。
Former Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy even called for tobacco-style warning labels on social media platforms, saying they're associated with significant mental health harms for adolescents.
前卫生局局长维韦克·穆尔蒂博士甚至呼吁在社交媒体平台上使用类似烟草的警示标签,指出这些平台与青少年显著的心理健康危害有关。
The data also shows when kids are spending more than three hours on average that they face nearly double the risk, increased risk, of depression and anxiety symptoms.
数据还显示,当孩子们平均每天花费超过三个小时的时间时,他们面临的抑郁和焦虑症状的风险几乎翻倍。
But a recent CDC study found about 50% of teenagers between ages 12 and 17 had four or more hours of daily screen time.
但最近的一项美国疾病控制与预防中心研究发现,12至17岁青少年中,约有50%的人每天使用电子屏幕的时间达到或超过四小时。
I definitely prefer having it, but I mean, I get more work done.
我确实更喜欢拥有它,但我的意思是,我能完成更多工作。
Do you realize, did it make you realize you have an emotional attachment to it?
你意识到了吗?它是否让你意识到你对它有情感上的依恋?
Oh, I think I knew that before and I was just kind of avoiding that fact.
哦,我想我之前就知道了,只是有点逃避这个事实。
You were avoiding that fat before, but now it's like in your face real.
你之前一直在回避那个事实,但现在它就像摆在眼前一样真实。
Oh yeah, now I know I'm addicted.
哦,没错,现在我清楚自己上瘾了。
Every day I go straight to my phone when I get home.
每天我一回家就直接拿起手机。
Don't even think about the homework.
不要想着作业了。
But when he's in the walls of Wakefield, he's opening up in other ways.
但当他身处韦克菲尔德的围墙内时,他以其他方式敞开心扉。
I feel like I connect with more people and like have better conversations than I could have had with the phone.
我觉得自己与更多人建立了联系,进行了比打电话时更深入的交流。
Student Karen Mein says it's led to a new kind of engagement.
学生凯伦·迈因说,这带来了新的参与方式。
Even just like at lunch, you like talk to each other, you know, like people bring games to class and that's something I had never experienced.
甚至就像在午餐时间, 你们会互相聊天,你知道,人们会把游戏带到课堂上, 这是我从未有过经历的。
You never experienced that kind of engagement?
你从未经历过那样的互动?
Well, it was just like, and maybe not since kindergarten, maybe not since preschool.
嗯,就是这样的感觉,也许从幼儿园以来,甚至从学前班以来就没有过这种感觉。
And the students and teachers here say less isolation has meant less interpersonal conflict.
这里的学生和教师表示,减少隔离意味着人际冲突的减少。
There were a lot less fights.
打架事件少了很多。
I haven't seen any this year.
今年我还没见过有打架的情况。
The movement to restrict cell phones in classrooms is growing, with nine states having already passed a ban or restricted cell phone use in schools.
限制课堂上使用手机的运动正在增长,已有九个州通过了禁止或限制学校使用手机的规定。
And 15 states, plus the District of Columbia, have introduced legislation to do the same.
另有15个州及哥伦比亚特区已提出立法,拟采取相同措施。
But not every educator is on board.
但并非所有教育工作者都对此表示支持。
Including Brandon Cardet Hernandez, a former public school principal in New York.
其中包括纽约前公立学校校长布兰登·卡德特·埃尔南德斯。
We have to teach digital literacy skills, like kids need to know how to use social media, and by an outright ban of smartphones in schools, we are not getting any closer to teaching those skills.
我们必须教授数字素养技能,比如孩子们需要知道如何使用社交媒体,而通过在学校全面禁止智能手机,我们并没有更接近于传授这些技能。
He also worries that low-income students relying on the school for access to reliable Wi-Fi are being forgotten in the discussion.
他还担心,依赖学校获取稳定Wi-Fi的低收入学生在讨论中被忽略了。
Kids who are ready, the most vulnerable and the most under-resourced schools who are ready experiencing skill gaps.
那些准备就绪的孩子,尤其是最脆弱、资源最匮乏的学校中的学生,正面临着技能差距。
Those are the kids who are going to be the most harmed.
那些孩子将受到最大的伤害。
There's also a very real concern about what happens during an emergency.
在紧急情况下会发生什么,这也是一个非常真实的担忧。
I know one of the biggest things that people are worried about was if there's like a lockdown and like there's someone in the school and you need to text your parents.
我知道人们最担心的情况之一是,如果发生封锁,学校里有人,而你需要给父母发短信。
And then all the parents would be going crazy because they can't text their kids, they don't know if they're okay.
然后所有的家长都会疯了, 因为他们不能给他们的孩子发短信,不知道他们是否安全。
Cabana points out that he thinks phones can do more harm than good in those situations.
卡巴纳指出,他认为在那种情况下,手机弊大于利。
Misinformation can be put out on phones, incorrect rumors, perhaps panicking when there shouldn't be.
手机上可能会传播错误信息,不正确的谣言,也许在本不应恐慌的时候引起恐慌。
That would just be a hindrance to keeping students safe.
那只会妨碍保证学生安全。
So while the jury's still out if this group would recommend a ban in other schools, one thing is clear.
因此,尽管目前尚无定论这群人是否会建议其他学校也实施禁令,但有一点是明确的。
Unplugging for them means a new sense of freedom.
对他们而言,断开连接意味着一种全新的自由感。
That's the part I really love most.
那正是我最钟爱的部分。
Just like, honestly, the weight that's kind of been lifted off my shoulders.
就像,老实说,那种肩上的重担被卸下的感觉。
This freedom taken from us, but we've like gained another freedom.
这种自由被剥夺了,但我们获得了一种新的自由。
I guess like a mental freedom.
我想这是一种精神上的自由。
So I really appreciate that.
所以我真的很感激。
That was good.
那很好。
Pop quiz, hot shot.
突然 quiz,聪明的家伙。
What is located on the top floor of the U.S. Supreme Court building?
美国最高法院大楼的顶层是什么?
A diner, a gym, a chapel, or an observatory?
一家餐厅、一个健身房、一个小教堂,还是一座天文台?
Answer is the Supreme Court Gym.
答案是最高法院健身房。
It comes complete with a basketball court, fittingly named the highest court in the land, where justices, clerks, and staff can hoop it up.
这里配备了一个篮球场, 恰如其分地命名为“国土至高法庭”, 大法官、书记员和工作人员都可以在此尽情投篮。
Today's story, getting a 10 out of 10.
今日故事,满分十分。
Some words of wisdom for all the leaders and leaders in the making out there.
以下是给所有现任领导者及未来领导者们的智慧箴言。
Ahead of the final four over the weekend, I got to chat with all four of the head coaches who've had their teams led to the biggest stage in college basketball through all the ups and downs in this whirlwind of a season.
在周末的最终四强赛之前,我有幸与四位主教练进行了交谈, 他们带领各自的球队在这个赛季的风风雨雨中, 成功登上了大学篮球的最高舞台。
I asked Duke's John Shire, Florida's Todd Golden, Houston's Kelvin Sampson, and Auburn's Bruce Pearl what's one of the keys to being a great leader.
我询问了杜克的约翰·舍尔、佛罗里达的托德·戈登、休斯顿的凯尔文·桑普森和奥本的布鲁斯·佩尔,成为伟大领导者的关键之一是什么。
Trust in your players, trust in your staff.
信任你的队员,信任你的教练组。
Everybody making sacrifices, you know, for the greater good.
大家都知道,每个人都在为更崇高的目标做出牺牲。
Understand that when we as a team are successful, you as an individual will benefit far more.
明白当我们作为一个团队取得成功时,你个人将获得更多的好处。
I try to lead, you know, from kind of the player's perspective.
我尝试从球员的角度出发来领导团队。
And even though obviously I'm the head coach, I want them to feel like I'm in it with them.
尽管我显然是主教练,但我希望他们觉得我和他们在一起。
You know, one of our kind of traditions is shooting half-court shots the day before the game.
你知道,我们的一项传统是在比赛前一天进行半场投篮。
And that was an example of that today.
而今天就是这一传统的体现。
Somewhere along the way, I've learned the importance of being a servant leader and not a boss.
在成长的过程中,我逐渐认识到成为服务型领导者而非单纯发号施令的上司的重要性。
I like working with people and helping them become better at whatever they're doing.
我喜欢与他人合作,并帮助他们在所从事的领域中不断进步。
And I think it should always be a joint effort.
而且我认为这应该始终是一个共同努力。
I've learned that in order to ask anybody to do anything, you better be willing to do it yourself.
我明白了,要想要求别人做任何事,自己最好也愿意去做。
And that's something I've always tried to take pride in.
这就是我一直引以为豪的一点。
All right, good luck to Coach Golden's Gators and Coach Sampson's Cougars tonight in the national championship game.
祝今晚参加全国冠军赛的金教练的鳄鱼队和桑普森教练的美洲狮队好运。
All right, it is time for our favorite part of the show.
好的,现在是节目中最喜欢的部分。
We've got a Texas-sized shout-out going to Mound City School in Mound City, Missouri.
我们向密苏里州蒙德城的蒙德城市学校送出了巨大的问候。
We see you, Panthers.
我们看到了你们,黑豹队。
And from right here in Texas, this shout-out goes to Mr. Minguez and all our friends at Eagle Pass High School in Eagle Pass, Texas.
而从得克萨斯州这里,我要向明格兹先生以及得克萨斯州鹰隘高中的所有朋友们致意。
Rise up.
隮。
Let's giddy up.
咱们振奋起来。
Make this an awesome week.
让这周精彩纷呈。
I'll see you right back here tomorrow from the Lone Star State.
我明天将从孤星州再次在这里见到你们。
I'm Coy Wire, and we are CNN 10.
我是Coy Wire,这是CNN 10。
© cnn.com
来源:英语东