摘要:I'm Coy Wire, coming to you from Petaluma, California.
What's up, sunshine?
亲爱的观众朋友们,今天过得如何?
Welcome to CNN 10.
欢迎收看CNN 10节目。
I'm Coy Wire, coming to you from Petaluma, California.
我是科伊·怀尔,现在位于加州佩塔卢马。
State bird of California is the quail.
加州的州鸟是鹌鹑。
Petaluma, did you know, was once known as the world's egg basket.
你知道佩塔卢马曾是闻名世界的"鸡蛋篮子"吗?
More eggs produced than anywhere.
这里的鸡蛋产量曾冠绝全球。
It's a foodie haven, an architectural and historic stunner, also home to Rancho Obi-Wan, one of the world's largest Star Wars memorabilia collections.
这里不仅是美食爱好者的天堂,更以建筑与历史奇观著称,还坐落着"欧比旺牧场",这是全球最大的星球大战纪念品收藏馆之一。
Yes, please.
太棒了。
More on all of that some later episodes in the summertime.
更多精彩内容将在后续夏季特别节目中呈现。
It's been so nice to meet some of you, our friends who watch the show from right here in Petaluma.
很高兴在佩塔卢马遇见一些收看我们节目的观众朋友。
Thank you for making us part of your day.
感谢大家每日的陪伴。
Let's start now with your 10 minutes of news and a little bit of fun.
现在开始十分钟的新闻播报时间,今天的内容很有意思。
We begin with a story of perseverance after a hiker who spent nearly three weeks missing in the California wilderness was found and rescued.
首先是一则关于毅力的故事,一名在加州荒野失踪近三周的徒步旅行者被成功找到并获救。
A sheriff's spokesperson noted it was the longest he had ever seen a person go missing in the woods there and survive.
当地警长发言人表示,这是他见过的在该地区森林失踪时间最长却最终生还的案例。
Tiffany Slayton was reported missing on April 29th, when her parents hadn't heard from her in more than a week.
乔治亚州居民蒂芙尼·斯莱顿于4月29日被报失踪,当时她的父母已超过一周没有她的消息了。
The 27-year-old from Georgia had been on a solo camping trip across the Sierra Nevada mountain range in eastern California and was last seen on April 24th.
她今年27岁,这位独自穿越加州东部内华达山脉的露营者最后一次露面是在4月24日。
More than 600 square miles were searched with no sign of Slayton.
搜救范围超过600平方英里,但始终未发现她的踪迹。
Sheriff's deputies and volunteers faced tough conditions, heavy snow blocking many roads.
警员与志愿者们面临着严峻的搜救条件,当时,厚厚的积雪封锁了多条道路。
Two days after the sheriff's office announced it was scaling back the search effort, Slayton was found.
就在警长办公室宣布缩小搜救范围的两天后,斯莱顿被奇迹般地发现了。
Give me a thumbs up.
竖个拇指。
There we go.
好的。
All right, we're good.
不错。
Ms. Slayton found her way through the snow to a small resort that was closed for the winter, but the staff there unknowingly did something that would have likely saved Slayton's life.
原来,斯莱顿女士在风雪中艰难跋涉,最终抵达了一处冬季歇业的小型度假村,而度假村工作人员一个无心的举动,很可能成为了她的救命稻草。
They left the cabin doors unlocked.
他们离开时没有锁上小木屋的门。
What she told us, it was a blizzard and she pushed through that blizzard and the first thing she saw was a cabin, and she held up in the cabin through the night.
她向我们描述称,当时暴风雪肆虐,她硬是顶着风雪前行,最先映入眼帘的正是那间小木屋,她便在里面躲了一整夜。
The resort's owner saw that a cabin door was open and soon after Slayton appeared.
度假村老板发现木屋门敞开着,不久后便找到了斯莱顿。
Her only request in that moment, a hug.
那一刻她唯一的请求就是一个拥抱。
The owner quickly called authorities who got Slayton to a hospital to be checked out by doctors.
老板立即联系当局,将斯莱顿送医检查。
The sheriff's office says she is in good condition other than being understandably hungry and dehydrated after her three week ordeal.
警长办公室表示,除了经历三周磨难造成的饥饿与脱水外,她身体状况良好。
A funky, fermenting, foul-smelling, floating photosynthetic organism could be coming to a beach near you.
接下来要讲到的是一种古怪、发酵、恶臭且会漂浮的光合生物体,它们可能即将登陆你附近的海滩。
Sargassum seaweed, and you can emphasize the gas in sargassum because it stinks.
那就是马尾藻,要强调"尾"字的发音,因为这东西实在太臭了。
Now, seaweeds are vital for our ocean life, but this stenchy eyesore, when it washes ashore, smells sort of like rotten eggs when it decomposes.
海藻本是海洋生态的重要支柱,但这种散发恶臭的海藻一旦冲上岸,腐烂时会释放类似臭鸡蛋的气味。
It also releases toxic gases that can cause respiratory issues.
更会析出引发呼吸问题的有毒气体。
And if you see it, don't touch it, because sometimes jellyfish or their larvae get caught in there and that would definitely leave a mark.
如果你在海滩看见它了,切记不要徒手触碰,因为水母及其幼虫常藏身其中,被蜇伤的痛感绝对会让你"刻骨铭心"。
Scientists at the University of South Florida are predicting that this year could be Florida's worst seaweed season ever.
南佛罗里达大学科学家预测,今年可能成为佛州史上海藻泛滥最严重的一年。
They tracked the seaweed and say this year's bloom in the Atlantic Ocean is bigger than ever at 31 million tons.
通过卫星追踪发现,大西洋海域的马尾藻规模已突破3100万吨,创下历史记录。
So big it can even be seen from space and it's already washing up on beaches.
其庞大集群甚至能从太空清晰观测到,目前部分海滩已开始出现藻类堆积。
A heavy odor, yes.
没错,那味道确实够呛。
It's the smell of that you can really, you know, feel it.
这种臭味简直扑面而来,让人无处可逃。
Sargassum seaweed blooms are increasing in the Atlantic Ocean because of a mix of factors.
马尾藻在大西洋疯狂繁殖的背后,是多重因素的共同作用。
Warmer water temperatures and changes in ocean currents fueled by changes in the climate.
气候变迁导致海水温度升高、洋流模式发生改变。
They're helping the seaweed thrive.
这些因素都助长了马尾藻的疯狂繁殖。
And human pollution from agricultural runoff.
还有农业径流带来的人为污染。
It's flowing into rivers, eventually into the ocean.
富含化肥的污水注入河流,最终汇入海洋导致富营养化。
Imagine all those fertilizers, the nitrogen and phosphorus and the things that help farmers make their crops grow.
那些富含氮、磷的农业肥料,它们本是为了促进农作物生长,却在流入河流最终汇入海洋后,成了马尾藻爆发的"超级营养餐"。
Well, it's causing sargassum seaweed blooms to boom big time.
正是这些因素让马尾藻迎来了它们生长的"黄金时代"。
Pop quiz, hot shot.
“十秒冷知识快问快答”时间。
What type of animal has a network of sensory organs called a lateral line?
哪种动物拥有被称为侧线的感官系统?
fish, mammals, marsupials, or reptiles?
鱼类、哺乳动物、有袋动物还是爬行动物?
If you said fish, put your fins up!
答对了,就是鱼类,快举起你们的双手庆祝吧!
The lateral line is a system of sensory cells in most fish species that runs along the sides of the body from gills to tail.
侧线系统是大多数鱼类拥有的感官细胞网络,从鱼鳃延伸至尾部。
It helps them detect prey, avoid predators, and navigate in the water.
这套神奇系统能帮助它们探测猎物、躲避天敌,还能实现水中导航。
Now to a one-of-a-kind science project from some students right here in Petaluma.
现在带大家看看佩塔卢马学生开展的独特科研项目。
Students from Casa Grande High School are helping to research and revitalize nearby creeks and streams.
卡萨格兰德高中的学生们正参与附近溪流的生态研究与修复工作。
Their mission?
他们的使命是什么?
To help restore the population of steelhead trout in the Petaluma watershed.
那就是帮助恢复佩塔卢马流域虹鳟鱼的种群数量。
Here's just a portion of their awesome story.
以下是关于这个精彩故事的短片。
There, you got them.
抓到了!
In a shallow creek in Petaluma, a team of student scientists is documenting a habitat coming back to life, with the help of a program decades in the making.
在佩塔卢马一条浅浅的溪流中,学生科研小组正在记录重现生机的栖息地,这一切得益于一个酝酿了数十年的生态保护计划。
Ellie Slick is a biologist with the United Anglers of Casagrande High School.
埃莉·斯利克是卡萨格兰德高中"联合垂钓者"社团的生物学家。
We're all student run.
我们完全由学生自主运营。
We're the ones who monitor the steelhead in this watershed, not just in Adobe Creek, but any presence in other creeks in Petaluma as well.
我们不仅负责监测奥比多溪的虹鳟,整个佩塔卢马流域所有溪流的虹鳟踪迹都由我们追踪。
All of our research is pretty much led by the students.
几乎所有研究都由学生主导。
We first introduced you to the team at Casa Grande High School earlier this year.
今年早些时候,我们首次报道了这个学生团队。
That's when they were tagging steelhead trout with tiny tracking devices.
当时他们正在为虹鳟安装微型追踪器。
The students run a fully operational fish hatchery where they're able to raise specimens themselves.
学生们运作着一个功能齐全的鱼类孵化场,能够独立完成鱼苗培育工作。
There they go.
看,它们游过去了!
Now for the first time, they're in the process of releasing them back into the spring watershed with special permits.
目前,学生们正首度凭借特别许可,将培育的虹鳟鱼苗放归春季流域。
Program Director Dan Huebacher says it's a major advance for the program, which is evolving from monitoring the watershed to advanced restoration work, hopefully bolstering the dwindling native populations being sampled on the day we caught up with them.
项目主任丹·休巴赫指出,这标志着该计划实现了重大升级,从最初的流域监测阶段,迈入了更高阶的生态修复阶段,有望振兴当日采样时发现的日益减少的本土鱼群。
This year was the first year that we released smolts back into the creek.
今年是我们首次向溪流投放幼鲑。
So with that being the case, these are from either fish coming up recently or fish that I've been holding out.
因此这些样本要么来自近期洄游的野生亲鱼,要么来自我们人工保育的种鱼。
It's most likely what's happening.
大概就是这样。
The program is now in its fourth decade, and the students now work with grants from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, nurturing populations and collecting data that could help drive the restoration project.
这个已持续三十余年的项目,如今获得了美国国家鱼类和野生动物基金会的资助,学生们通过科学培育鱼群和收集生态数据,持续为流域修复工程提供关键支持。
Chelsea Williams and Lucy James hope to make even bigger contributions in the future.
切尔西·威廉姆斯和露西·詹姆斯期待未来将作出更大贡献。
It's amazing.
这太不可思议了。
I am very grateful to have a role in this and I know it's definitely a tough time for science as of now and to just be a part of it is absolutely wonderful.
能参与其中让我倍感荣幸,尽管当前科研环境充满挑战,但能成为这项事业的一部分实在妙不可言。
I plan to get a master's in environmental policy and then go to law school and do law with a specification in environmental conservation.
我计划先攻读环境政策硕士学位,再进入法学院专攻环境保护法。
This year the students are hoping to track and document migration patterns of steelhead trout in Adobe Creek and perhaps open another chapter in what's already an environmental success story.
今年,学生们将继续追踪记录奥比多溪虹鳟的洄游路线,这个已然成功的环保故事,或将因此谱写新的篇章。
Okay, it is graduation season, as you know, which means a lot of successful people are giving out a lot of valuable life advice at colleges and universities across the U.S., and we're going to show you some of the best words of wisdom from commencement speeches throughout the month of May.
又到一年毕业季,这意味着美国各大高校的杰出人士们正在为学子们送上珍贵的人生建议,整个五月,我们将为大家精选毕业典礼中最发人深省的智慧箴言。
Yankees Hall of Famer Derek Jeter congratulated the class of 2025 at the University of Michigan while sharing something really special that he learned from his mom.
纽约洋基队名人堂成员德瑞克·基特在密歇根大学2025届毕业典礼上分享了他从母亲那里学到的人生真谛。
Fall in love with something, anything, because when you do, you work harder to achieve it.
找到一件你热爱的事情,什么事都可以,因为当你真正热爱时,你便会为之加倍努力。
It will drive you.
这份热爱将成为你前进的动力。
You have to feel that dream in every muscle, every bone in your body, because with every dream, every dream you have, you're gonna have to sacrifice your comfort, sacrifice your ease.
你必须让那个梦想渗透进每块肌肉、每根骨头,因为每个梦想的实现,都需要你牺牲安逸、放弃舒适。
Now there may be unwanted side effects with those dreams too.
追梦路上难免有一些不好的事情发生。
Side effects like doubt, criticism, endless hours of work, but that's the price you pay.
比如质疑声、批评声,还有无尽的工作时长,但这就是你必须支付的“代价”。
Playing baseball was a daily challenge for me.
打棒球对我来说是日复一日的挑战。
An even bigger challenge was making sure that the dream stayed alive.
而更大的挑战是如何永远保持对这份梦想的热度。
Today's story, getting a 10 out of 10, a young woman who's turning tragedy into triumph.
今天的“最后一分钟”环节要讲的是一位将悲剧改写为传奇的年轻女性。
Lulu Gribbons experienced the unthinkable last summer when she was attacked by a shark in the Florida panhandle.
去年夏天,露露·格里本斯在佛罗里达狭长地带遭遇鲨鱼袭击,经历了常人难以想象的灾难。
And though the terrifying incident changed her life forever, she refused to let it ruin her future.
尽管这场恐怖事件永远改变了她的生活,但她绝不允许这摧毁自己的未来。
Through the sport of golf, she not only found her new passion, she's inspiring more people than she could have ever imagined.
露露通过高尔夫运动不仅重获新生,更点燃了无数人的希望。
I remember being in the water with my friends.
我记得当时是和朋友们在海里玩。
We were diving in the water for sand dollars and we were just having fun and then things took a turn and my life changed forever.
我们在找沙币,正当我们嬉戏时,命运骤然逆转,从此我的生命被彻底改写。
While on vacation with her family in Florida last summer, Lulu Gribben was attacked by a shark, changing her life forever.
去年夏天佛罗里达的家庭度假中,鲨鱼袭击让露露永远失去了右臂和右腿。
One leg and one arm doesn't define who I am, so I'm still the same person.
但残缺的肢体从不能定义灵魂的完整,我依然是那个未被击垮的露露。
The very first time I woke up, I knew everything that had happened.
我在苏醒瞬间就明白了一切。
And the first words I said were, I made it.
我说出的第一句话是:"我活下来了。"
It was near death because I lost two-thirds of my blood.
那次濒死经历让我换掉了全身三分之二的血液。
I think it's very important to just be grateful that I'm alive here today.
能活到今天,我唯有感恩。
It was just heartbreaking when we found out the news.
得知消息时我们心都碎了。
But instantly I started thinking, you know, if she recovers, if she gets through this, then she can play golf.
但我立刻想到,如果她能康复,高尔夫会成为她的新生契机。
Because I've seen what golf has done.
因为我深知高尔夫能为人们带来怎样的改变。
Golf is like a medicine for me and for many others.
高尔夫对我而言如同良药,对很多人亦是如此。
I have a lot of experience in adaptive sports.
我在适应性运动领域经验丰富。
I've raced with a lot of Paralympic skiers and played in the adaptive golf circuit.
曾与多位残奥滑雪选手竞技,也参加过适应性高尔夫巡回赛。
And everyone's disability is different and requires a little different adaptation.
每位残障者的状况各异,需要量身定制的训练方案。
We're going to fine-tune and find a way to give her the best advantages and have her perform the best despite her disability and limitations.
我们会不断调整,帮助她在身体限制的情况下发挥最佳状态。
I really like golf because it lets me to just be myself and stay competitive.
我深爱高尔夫,因为它让我做最真实的自己,同时保持竞技激情。
What a shot.
看这一杆!
It's probably been the most fun I've had as a PGA professional.
这大概是我作为职业高尔夫球联盟教练最有成就感的时刻。
She's an athlete that wants to get better, that tries as hard as she can, and just is an inspiration to me while I'm teaching her.
当我们训练时,她那永不言弃的运动员精神反而成为激励我的力量。
When I'm on the golf course, I'm just a normal golfer just hitting a golf ball.
站在球场上,我就是个纯粹的高尔夫球手,仅此而已。
It might look a little different, but it really helps me to just take my mind off how different I am and just allow me to just have fun and focus on the sport.
动作或许有些特别,但这让我忘却身体的差异,纯粹享受运动乐趣。
She showed me that Lulu is way more than just Lulu the girl who survived a shark attack.
她让我明白,露露不仅仅是鲨口余生的女孩。
She's Lulu the golfer.
更是高尔夫球手露露。
She's someone impressive and an athlete.
她是一位令人敬佩的运动员。
Now 16 years old, Lulu is trying to help make the water safer for others.
如今16岁的露露正推动水域安全改革。
She's working with Alabama lawmakers to create an alert system on cell phones that will notify beachgoers if there are sharks nearby.
她与阿拉巴马州立法者合作开发手机预警系统,当附近出现鲨鱼时可实时提醒游客。
Before my attack, there was another shark attack.
在我遇袭前,那片海域刚发生过另一起事故。
And if I would have known, I would not have been in the water.
如果当时有预警,那我绝不会下水。
And my life would have been completely different.
我的人生本可以完全不同。
And I think it's very important that we put this in to keep the beaches safe.
建立这套预警系统对海滩安全至关重要。
I can overcome anything that I put my mind to.
心之所向,万难可破。
No obstacle will be able to stop you if you don't let it.
只要决心够坚定,就没有跨不过的障碍。
And just how important it is to never give up and to always persevere, even when life throws curveballs at you.
当生活向你投出曲线球时,永不放弃、永不言败的精神才是最强大的武器。
Rise up.
加油吧!
Our first shout out of this week goes to Mrs. Alley and all the Black Bears at Pawnee Middle School in Pawnee, Oklahoma.
本周首先要向俄克拉荷马州波尼市波尼中学的艾莉老师和她带领的"黑熊"学子们致敬。
We see you.
我们看到了你们的努力。
And Ms. Pell, Windsor High School, Windsor, California, you made our day.
加利福尼亚州温莎高中的佩尔老师,你让我们的节目蓬荜生辉。
It was so nice to see you right here in Petaluma.
能与您在佩塔卢马见面让我们倍感惊喜。
And also from right here in Petaluma, Mrs. DeLeon, Carpet DM, and Sonoma Mountain High Schools, rise up.
接着是同样来自佩塔卢马的索诺玛山高中的德莱昂老师与"地毯DM"社团的同学们,继续闪耀吧。
Set your intention to make this week awesome.
一起立下让这周精彩非凡的决心吧。
Then see it through.
不要忘了,一定要坚持到底。
It's a blessing to kick off this week with you learning some awesome stuff.
能与你们一起学习新知开启新一周时光,是莫大的幸事。
I'm off to another great field trip now.
现在我要开始进行下一轮的实地探访啦。
Bend, Oregon.
这次我将启程前往俄勒冈州本德市。
We're coming in hot.
我们来了。
See you there from there tomorrow, everyone.
明天我们当地见。
I'm Coy Wire and we are CNN 10.
我是科伊·怀尔,这里是CNN 10节目。
来源:英语东