摘要:It is #YourWordWednesday, so be on the lookout to see if your word, the word you submitted, helped us write today's show.
My oh my, what a wonderful Wednesday it is.
哎呀呀,多么美好的星期三啊。
What's up, sunshine?
嗨,阳光般的朋友,最近怎么样?
It is #YourWordWednesday, so be on the lookout to see if your word, the word you submitted, helped us write today's show.
今天是#你的词汇星期三#,请留意看看你提交的那个词是否助力我们完成了今天的节目编写。
I'm Coy Wire, this is CNN 10, and we're gonna go big today on the quickly evolving, fascinating, and thought-provoking world of quantum computing.
我是科伊·怀尔, 这里是CNN 10,今天我们将深入探讨量子计算这个迅速发展、引人入胜且发人深省的领域。
This emerging technology is already making waves in industries like healthcare, finance, even the way we fly.
这项新兴技术已在医疗、金融乃至航空方式等领域掀起波澜。
Quantum computers have the potential to outperform today's classical computers, solving problems that are currently beyond our reach.
量子计算机有潜力超越当今的经典计算机,解决目前我们力所不及的问题。
Regular computers, like the ones so many of us use every day, work with bits.
常规计算机,就像我们许多人日常使用的那种,是基于比特进行运算的。
These are tiny units of information that can either be coded as a zero or a one.
这些是微小的信息单位,可以编码为零或一。
Everything we do on a computer, from watching videos to texting, is built on these zeros and ones.
我们在电脑上所做的所有事情,从观看视频到发送短信,都是建立在这些零和一的基础之上的。
But quantum computers work with qubits.
但量子计算机使用的是量子比特。
Unlike regular bits, qubits can be both 0 and 1, but they can use those numbers at the same time, which lets quantum computers handle tons of data all at once, making them way faster for certain tasks.
与常规比特不同, 量子比特既能是0也能是1,并且可以同时使用这两个数值,这使得量子计算机能够一次性处理大量数据,从而在某些任务中表现得更快。
Quantum computing is a fairly new idea.
量子计算是一个相当新颖的概念。
It started back in the 1980s.
它始于20世纪80年代。
There were some realizations that regular computers had limited abilities and were unable to handle certain complicated tasks.
人们意识到普通计算机能力有限,无法处理某些复杂任务。
Quantum computers can do more.
量子计算机能做更多的事。
And when it comes to solving problems like, say, cracking a code, they do it much faster than classical computers.
而在解决诸如破解密码等复杂问题时,量子计算机的速度远超传统计算机。
Today we're still figuring out just how powerful quantum computers could become, but it's believed they could become so powerful they might one day be able to cure diseases.
如今, 我们仍在探索量子计算机的潜力究竟有多大,但据信它们可能变得极为强大, 有朝一日甚至能够治愈疾病。
They also could change how we search for information and how we tackle complex problems we never even knew were possible.
它们还可能改变我们搜索信息的方式,以及解决那些我们甚至未曾意识到其存在的复杂问题的方法。
But the path to this revolutionary future is not without its challenges.
但通往这一革命性未来的道路并非一帆风顺。
Our Anna Stewart is exploring how quantum computing works, what makes it so different, and why it's increasingly generating more hype and curiosity.
我们的安娜·斯图尔特正在探究量子计算的工作原理、使其与众不同的因素,以及为何它日益引发更多的关注与好奇。
Dubai is home to about 13,000 restaurants, but I failed at scratching the culinary surface.
迪拜拥有约13,000家餐厅,但我未能深入探索其美食文化。
I have been to Dubai between 10 and 15 times.
我已去过迪拜10到15次。
We're always filming, we're always busy.
我们总是忙于拍摄,总是处于忙碌状态。
I go to the same restaurants every time, so I've probably been to the same five restaurants a load of different times.
我每次都去同样的餐厅,所以很可能已经多次光顾过那五家餐厅了。
This time, I'm here to decode quantum computing, and I've realized it's time to finally try a new spot.
这次, 我来到这里是为了解读量子计算,同时意识到是时候终于尝试一个新的地方了。
Oh wow, that looks good.
哦,哇,看起来真不错。
And here we have our marinated cucumber and garlic.
这里是我们腌制的黄瓜和大蒜。
At the rate I've been going, I can't even imagine how long it would take me to hit all the restaurants in Dubai.
以我目前的进度,我甚至无法想象要花多长时间才能把迪拜的所有餐厅都尝遍。
Is this it?
就这些了吗?
I think we still have some more.
我想我们还有更多。
Oh, there's more.
哦,还有更多呢。
Thank you very much.
非常感谢。
You're welcome.
别客气。
But rather than map out my own route next time, I wonder if quantum computing might one day do it for me.
但下次, 与其我自己规划路线,我好奇量子计算是否有一天能为我代劳。
My eyes are bigger than my stomach.
眼大肚小。
Ooh, that looks good.
哦,看起来真不错。
Quantum computers are radically different from the laptops we know and love.
量子计算机与我们熟知并喜爱的笔记本电脑截然不同。
Just look at them.
只需瞧瞧它们。
How on earth can you see what you're typing or even type at all?
你究竟怎么能看清自己输入的内容,甚至还能输入呢?
These computers look totally different because they work in totally different ways.
这些计算机看起来完全不同,因为它们的工作方式截然不同。
Our computers process information in the form of bits, which can either be 1 or 0.
我们的计算机以比特形式处理信息,这些比特只能是1或0。
Quantum computers use quantum bits, or qubits, which can embody 0 and 1 to varying degrees at the same time.
量子计算机使用量子比特,或称为qubit,它可以同时以不同程度体现0和1。
Think of it like flipping a coin.
可以将其想象成抛硬币。
Classical bits are the flipped coin, heads or tails.
经典比特就像是翻转的硬币,非正面即反面。
Qubits are the coin as it's flipping, which has a probability of being heads or tails.
量子比特就像翻转中的硬币,它有成为正面或反面的概率。
It's a lot to wrap your head around.
这确实很难理解。
Should I feel stupid that I am really struggling with this one?
我不该因为在这方面真的感到困难而觉得自己愚蠢吗?
You should not, because Einstein, for example, really didn't accept quantum mechanics.
你不应感到愚蠢,因为像爱因斯坦这样的例子,他确实未能接受量子力学。
He didn't?
他没有?
No.
不。
Oh, I'm in good company then.
哦,那我真是与优秀的人为伍了。
Yeah, exactly.
是的,没错。
He was sort of saying, is this nature or are we just inventing some weird force to account for this?
他似乎在问,这是自然现象,还是我们为了解释这一现象而臆造出某种奇怪的力量?
I'm starting my journey at the Computer History Museum.
我的探索之旅始于计算机历史博物馆。
Hopefully, exploring these machines will give me a better understanding of how quantum fits into the bigger computing picture.
希望探索这些机器能让我更深入地理解量子计算在整个计算领域中的定位。
Well, computing begins deep in the darkest mists of time, probably 5,000 to 10,000 years ago in ancient Sumeria, where people devised a system based on tablets using stones.
计算的起源可追溯至时间长河的最深处, 大约在5000到10000年前的古代苏美尔,那时人们发明了一种基于石板和石子的系统。
This was adopted basically into what became the abacus.
这基本上被采纳为后来的算盘。
Whether they're built with stones or semiconductors, at the end of the day, computers exist to store and process data.
无论是用石头还是半导体构建,归根结底,计算机存在的目的就是存储和处理数据。
Modern computers were first geared towards professionals, like the Cray-1 supercomputer, which helped with industries like cryptography and aircraft design.
现代计算机最初是为专业人士设计的, 比如Cray-1超级计算机,它帮助了密码学和飞机设计等行业。
So this is specifically targeted at solving floating point equations.
因此,这专门用于解决浮点方程。
Soon, computers spread to the masses, thanks in part to Apple's first computer, which sold for $666.66.
不久, 计算机开始普及大众,这在一定程度上得益于苹果公司的首台电脑, 它以666.66美元的价格出售。
On the basis of this, Steve Jobs went, hey, what if we made a computer that was for the general public rather than for just hobbyists?
基于此,乔布斯想,嘿,如果我们制造一台面向大众而非仅仅爱好者的电脑会怎样?
Because these computers are now so common, it's almost impossible to conceptualize computing in any other way.
正因这些计算机如今如此普及,我们几乎无法以其他方式来构想计算的概念。
If you say quantum computing, you're imagining traditional computing.
如果说量子计算,你实际上是在想象传统计算。
How do the two compare?
两者有何不同?
I think they compare because, for one thing, they're both running software.
我认为它们可以比较,因为首先,它们都在运行软件。
And they both solve problems.
它们都解决问题。
They both solve problems, yes, exactly.
它们都能解决问题,没错,正是如此。
You know, for word processing or email or social media, none of those are ever going to be run on a quantum computer.
你知道,对于文字处理、电子邮件或社交媒体来说,这些应用永远都不会在量子计算机上运行。这不是适合量子计算的问题。
It's not the right problem.
这不是合适的问题。
Because qubits can embody any combination of zeros and ones, when they start interacting with each other, they can create many different patterns, essentially allowing the computer to perform many calculations at the same time.
由于量子比特能够体现零和一的任意组合,当它们开始相互作用时, 就能创造出多种不同的模式,实质上使得计算机能够同时进行多重计算。
Let's revisit my restaurant quest to explain.
让我们重温我寻找餐厅的经历来解释这一概念。
There is no one perfect example, but this is, I think, the best shot that we have to explain it here in Dubai.
没有一个完美的例子,但我认为, 这是我们在迪拜能找到的最好范例来解释这一概念。
I want to maximize the number of restaurants I can visit in, let's say, six days.
我想在六天时间里尽可能多地拜访餐厅。
If I ask a classical computer for the most efficient route for 13,000 restaurants, it'll likely have to start by testing each one one at a time, a task that gets exponentially harder if I want to only walk or only bike or alternate each time.
如果我向一台经典计算机询问13,000家餐厅中最优路线的规划,它很可能需要逐一测试每条路线,而当我要求仅步行、仅骑行或交替进行时, 这一任务的难度会呈指数级增长。
With quantum computing, I can potentially create an algorithm that encodes various journeys with various parameters together.
借助量子计算,我有可能创造出一种算法,将多种行程与不同参数一并编码。
And using quantum mechanical properties called superposition and entanglement, the quantum computer will help identify the better routes faster than a classical computer ever could.
借助被称为叠加和纠缠的量子力学特性,量子计算机将能比传统计算机更快地识别出更优的路线。
Now, I don't actually think quantum computing will be used for tasks like this, but imagine an airline.
现在,我实际上并不认为量子计算会被用于这类任务,但想象一下一家航空公司。
It obviously wants to find the most efficient route, which isn't just determined by distance.
显然,它希望找到最有效的航线,这不仅仅由距离决定。
Weather patterns, aircraft availability, and airport traffic also factor into the equation.
天气状况、飞机可用性及机场交通流量同样影响着最佳路线的选择。
Pop quiz, hot shot.
突击测验,高手。
Which body part on a squirrel never stops growing?
松鼠身上哪个部位终生都在生长?
Tail, teeth, feet, or head?
尾巴、牙齿、脚,还是头?
If you said teeth, tooth are correct.
如果你说的是牙齿,那你就答对了。
Squirrels have four front teeth that grow for their entire lives.
松鼠有四颗前牙,它们一生都在不断生长。
They gnaw on things, like the roofline of my house, to help keep those teeth sharp for chowing down on acorns and things.
它们啃咬物品,比如我家屋檐,以此保持牙齿锋利,便于享用橡子和各类食物。
Some animals gnaw, some of them claw.
有些动物啃咬,有些则用爪子抓挠。
Today's story, getting a 10 out of 10, a jaw-dropping claw.
今日故事,满分十分,震撼人心的一爪。
Recently discovered through the indefatigable work of the paleontologist in Mongolia.
近日,在蒙古古生物学家不懈努力下,这一发现得以问世。
It's clawfully impressive.
它的爪子令人印象深刻。
But wait till you see the thing that they think it belonged to.
但等着看他们认为它所属的那个东西吧。
Our Jeremy Roth has more.
我们的杰里米·罗斯将进一步为您报道。
Paleontologists have made a fascinating breakthrough in Asia, unearthing the largest fully preserved dinosaur claw of its kind in Mongolia.
古生物学家在亚洲取得了令人着迷的突破,在蒙古发掘出了同类中保存最完好的最大恐龙爪。
This unique two-clawed hand, experts say, belonged to a previously unknown species of dinosaur they are calling, uh, this.
专家表示,这只独特的双爪手属于一种先前未知的恐龙物种,他们称之为,呃,这个。
Believed to be part of the same dino family that includes the T-Rex.
据信属于包含霸王龙在内的同一恐龙家族。
Some researchers are likening the lengthy claws to tongs used in barbecuing.
一些研究人员将这些长长的爪子比作烧烤时使用的夹子。
Others are comparing the new species to Edward Scissorhands.
其他人则将这种新物种比作《剪刀手爱德华》中的角色。
I say, hey, why can't it be both?
我说,嘿,为什么不能两者兼得呢?
Clawsome, also clawsome, all those Eagles up there at Bath Village School in Bath, New Hampshire for submitting the word indefatigable for #YourWordWednesday.
爪力十足,同样爪力十足,新罕布什尔州巴斯巴斯村学校的所有小鹰们,感谢你们为#你的周三词汇#提交了“不屈不挠”这个词。
It's an adjective that means persisting tirelessly, like me when I was trying to pronounce that word.
这是一个形容词,意思是坚持不懈、不知疲倦,就像我当初努力发那个词的音时一样。
Well done.
干的好。
And now we have some shoutouts today.
今天我们有一些特别提及。
This one goes to FlexTech High School in Brighton, Michigan.
这一份归功于密歇根州布莱顿市的FlexTech高中。
Thanks for the love on our CNN 10 YouTube channel and keep flexing on them.
感谢在我们CNN 10的YouTube频道上给予的喜爱,并继续展现你们的魅力。
And to Mr. Dorsey and my friends at Howard Middle School right here in Atlanta, Georgia, rise up.
向位于佐治亚州亚特兰大市的霍华德中学的道尔西先生及我的朋友们致敬,奋起吧。
Thank you for making us part of your day.
感谢你们让我们成为你们一天的一部分。
Go on out and make it a great one.
走出去,让它变得精彩。
I'm Coy Wire, this is CNN 10, and I'll see you tomorrow.
我是科伊·怀尔,这是CNN 10,明天见。
来源:英语东