摘要:一、was/were to do表示过去曾经计划要做的事,或者过去应当做的事,而且从现在角度来看已经实现了。例如:
一、was/were to do表示过去曾经计划要做的事,或者过去应当做的事,而且从现在角度来看已经实现了。例如:
1. I felt nervous because I was soon to leave home for the first time.
我感到紧张,因为我很快就要初次离开家了。
2. The president was to visit China next month.
总统原计划下个月访问中国。
3. We were to meet at the cinema at 7 o'clock.
我们原计划7点在电影院见面。
4. You were to report to the manager as soon as you arrived.
你一到就应该向经理汇报。
5. All employees were to wear their uniforms at work.
所有员工上班时都必须穿制服。
6. They were never to meet again.
他们注定再也见不到面了。
7. The small town was to become a bustling city in the following decades.
在接下来的几十年里,这个小镇注定会变成一座繁华的城市。
2. The clergy were to receive salaries from the state.
牧师从国家领取工资。
二、was/were to have done 则表示“本打算”“本计划”或“本应当”做的事而没有做成或没有发生。它强调过去的计划或意图没有实现或者用于描述与过去事实相反的假设。
例如:
1. I was to have seen him last Wednesday but he did not come.
我本应当上周三就见到他,但是他没来。
2. We were to have been married last year.
我们本应当去年就结婚。
3. “ Have you been to Mexico?"
“ No, I was to have gone last year, but Dad wouldn’t let me.”
“你去过墨西哥吗?”
“不,我本来打算去年去的,但爸爸不让我去。”
4. The second book was to have been completed by August 1952, but two years later, the end was still nowhere in sight.
第二本书本应在1952年8月完成,但两年后,书的完工仍然遥遥无期。
5. I was to have finished writing the paper as scheduled, but my mother's illness interfered, I hope you will excuse me.
我本应按计划完成论文,但我母亲的病影响了我,希望你能原谅我。
6. I was to have made a speech if I had not been called away.
若非被叫走,我本应发表演讲。
7. Linda was to have started the experiment a month ago but she changed her mind at the last minute.
琳达本应在一个月前开始实验,但她在最后一刻改变了主意。
8. She was to have finished the report by yesterday, but she didn't have enough time.
她昨天本应该完成那份报告的,但她没有足够的时间。
9.If we were to have caught the earlier train, we wouldn't have missed the opening ceremony.
要是我们赶上了早一班火车,我们就不会错过开幕式了。
10. He was to have won the game, but he made a fatal mistake at the last moment.
他本应该赢得比赛的,但他在最后一刻犯了一个致命的错误。
11.If we were to have caught the earlier train, we wouldn't have missed the opening ceremony.
12. He was to have won the game, but he made a fatal mistake at the last moment.(他本应该赢得比赛的,但他在最后一刻犯了一个致命的错误。
来源:翅膀英语一点号