摘要:所以当你说你可以买得起某样东西时,这意味着你有足够的钱而且你有能力去做这件事。
So I was just at the bank and I thought I should do an English lesson where I talk a little bit about money.
所以我刚才在银行,我想我应该上一堂英语课,谈一些关于金钱的事情。
And specifically, I wanted to talk about describing people who don't have enough money and describing people who do have enough money.
具体来说,我想谈谈如何描述没有足够钱的人和如何描述有足够钱的人。
The first two words that come to mind are the words broke and loaded.
首先想到的两个词是“broken”和“loaded”。
I have a friend and he's always broke.
我有一个朋友,他总是身无分文。
He never has money.
他从来没有钱。
As soon as he gets a paycheck, he spends it.
他一拿到薪水就花掉。
And I have another friend who's loaded.
我还有一个朋友,他很有钱。
He has lots of money.
他有很多钱。
He always does.
他总是这样。
Whenever he gets paid, he puts the money in the bank and he doesn't spend it.
每当他拿到工资时,他就把钱存入银行,不花掉。
So welcome to this English lesson about money.
欢迎来到这节关于金钱的英语课。
And there's your first two words.
这是你的前两个词。
When someone is broke, they don't have any money.
当某人破产时,他们就没有钱了。
When someone is loaded, they have a lot of it.
当某人富有时,他们就拥有很多东西。
The next word is the word afford.
下一个单词是afford(承担)。
When you can afford something, it means that you have enough money to buy it.
当你买得起某物时,这意味着你有足够的钱去买它。
When you can't afford something, it means you don't have enough money to buy it.
当你买不起某物时,这意味着你没有足够的钱去买它。
Right now, I can't afford to take a trip to Europe.
现在,我还没有足够的钱去欧洲旅行。
I don't have enough money to do that.
我没有足够的钱来做那件事。
But I can afford to go to a Blue Jays game with Jen because that doesn't cost quite as much as a trip.
但我可以负担得起和 Jen 一起去看蓝鸟队的比赛,因为这并不像一次旅行那么贵。
So when you say you can afford something, it means you have enough money and you are able to do it.
所以当你说你可以买得起某样东西时,这意味着你有足够的钱而且你有能力去做这件事。
You can go and buy whatever you need to buy and use it as you need to use it.
你可以去买任何你需要的东西,并根据需要使用它。
And when you say you can't afford something, it means you just don't have enough money for it.
当你说你买不起某样东西时,意思是你没有足够的钱来买它。
So let's imagine that a friend of yours has asked if you want to do something fun with them.
假设你的一个朋友问你是否想和他们一起做一些有趣的事情。
Maybe they want to go to a concert or go on a trip, and you might not have enough money to do that.
也许他们想去听一场音乐会或者去旅行,但你可能没有足够的钱去实现这些愿望。
You could say to them, I'm short on cash right now.
你可以对他们说,我现在缺钱。
When you say you're short on cash, it doesn't mean you're completely broke.
当你说你缺钱时,并不意味着你完全破产了。
You probably still have money to pay your bills and to buy groceries and all those things.
你可能还有钱来支付账单、购买食品杂货和所有那些东西。
You just don't have money to do something fun.
你只是没有钱去做一些有趣的事情。
You're short on cash.
你缺钱。
Sometimes I'm a little bit short on cash after I buy groceries and I buy gas and I get my vans fixed.
有时候,我买了杂货、加油和修完货车后就会有点缺钱。
Sometimes when someone suggests doing something fun, I might say, hey, maybe we'll do that in a month because I'm a little bit short on cash right now.
有时当有人建议做一些有趣的事情时, 我可能会说,嘿, 也许我们可以在一个月内做这件事,因为我现在有点缺钱。
So this next phrase does not describe me.
因此,下一个短语并不适合描述我。
It's the phrase to be rolling in it or to be rolling in money.
这句话的意思是“滚滚而来”或“钱财滚滚” 。
Maybe you know someone who's really, really rich.
也许你认识某个非常非常富有的人。
Maybe you know someone who is rolling in it.
也许您认识某个正在其中打滚的人。
They are rolling in money.
他们财源广进。
This simply means that they have more money than they know what to do with.
这仅仅意味着他们有太多的钱不知道该怎么花。
I really wonder what that's like.
我真的很想知道那是什么样的感觉。
Again, I am not rolling in it.
再说了,我不会在里面打滚。
I am doing okay.
我很好。
I can pay my bills.
我可以付我的账单。
I live a very nice life, but I'm certainly not rolling in it.
我过着非常幸福的生活,但我绝对不是安于现状。
So if you know someone who's extremely rich, you could say they're loaded.
因此,如果你认识某个极其富有的人,你可以说他们很富有。
Or you could say, they're rolling in it.
或者你可以说,他们正在其中打滚。
So another phrase you might use to talk about a time when you don't have enough money is to say, money is tight right now or things are tight right now.
因此,当你没有足够的钱时,你可能会使用的另一个短语是说“现在钱很紧”或“现在事情很紧张”。
If someone says this in English, if they say, money is tight right now, it means, again, they have money.
如果有人用英语说这句话,如果他们说“现在钱很紧” ,那么它的意思是, 他们有钱。
They have enough money to buy groceries and to eat and to pay their rent and to pay their bills, but they don't have money to do anything extra.
他们有足够的钱购买食品杂货、吃饭、交房租和支付账单,但没有钱做任何额外的事情。
So you might say to a friend, hey, let's go to that weekend festival.
所以你可能会对朋友说,嘿, 我们去参加那个周末节日吧。
And they might say, hey, why don't we do that another time, maybe next year?
他们可能会说, 嘿,为什么我们不下次再做呢, 比如明年?
Because money's tight right now.
因为现在资金紧张。
Things are tight right now.
目前情况很紧张。
This next phrase is used again to talk about someone with lots of money.
下一个短语再次用于谈论有很多钱的人。
And you might use the phrase, they have money coming out of their ears.
你也可以用这个短语来表达:他们的钱都从耳朵里出来了。
When you say, someone has money coming out of their ears, it's kind of a funny image, isn't it?
当你说某人的耳朵里流出了钱时,这是一个很搞笑的形象, 不是吗?
It means they have lots of money.
这意味着他们有很多钱。
I don't know where this phrase came from or why we say it, but maybe you have a friend and they're just rich.
我不知道这句话从何而来, 也不知道我们为什么这么说,但也许你有一个朋友, 他们很富有。
They're loaded, they have money coming out of their ears.
他们很有钱,钱多得是。
Whenever you go out, they pay for everything.
无论何时你出去,他们都会付一切钱。
That would be a nice friend to have, wouldn't it?
拥有这样的朋友真好,不是吗?
Anyways, if you know someone who's really rich, you could say, wow, they have money coming out of their ears.
无论如何,如果你认识某个真正富有的人,你可以说,哇,他们的钱真是多得数不过来。
So sometimes people have trouble making ends meet.
因此有时人们会陷入入不敷出的情况。
In English, when we say that someone is having trouble making ends meet, it means that they don't have enough money to pay for everything.
在英语中,当我们说某人入不敷出时,意思是他们没有足够的钱来支付所有费用。
In this situation, it would mean they don't have enough money for rent, they don't have enough money for groceries.
在这种情况下,就意味着他们没有足够的钱付房租,没有足够的钱买食品杂货。
When they get paid, they use the money very quickly, probably for things they need, and they obviously, and for sure don't have money to do anything fun.
当他们拿到工资时,他们会很快把钱花掉,可能用来购买他们需要的东西,而且他们显然肯定没有钱去做任何有趣的事情。
So when you say someone has trouble making ends meet, it means that they're struggling.
所以当你说某人入不敷出时,这意味着他们正在苦苦挣扎。
They probably need a little bit of help.
他们可能需要一点帮助。
So some people are good with money, and some people are bad with money.
所以,有些人善于理财,有些人不善于理财。
When you're good with money, it means that you make money at your job, you pay your bills, you live a nice life, you save for retirement.
当你善于理财时,这意味着你可以通过工作赚钱、支付账单、过上幸福的生活、为退休储蓄。
You are good with money.
你很善于理财。
You know how to budget.
你知道如何做预算。
You know how to manage your money.
你知道如何管理你的资金。
When you're bad with money, though, it's the complete opposite.
但当你不善于理财时,情况就完全相反了。
It means that you spend more than you make.
这意味着你花的钱比你赚的钱多。
You're constantly going into debt.
你不断陷入债务。
You probably owe a lot of money.
你可能欠了很多钱。
You probably have loans and credit card debt.
您可能有贷款和信用卡债务。
When you're bad with money, it's not a good thing.
当你不善于理财时,这不是一件好事。
So I hope all of you are good with money.
所以我希望大家都能善于理财。
I hope you manage your money well, and I hope this English lesson helped you learn just a little more about how to talk about it.
我希望你能管理好你的钱,我希望这节英语课能帮助你更多地了解如何谈论它。
Remember, if this is your first time here, don't forget to click that red subscribe button.
请记住, 如果这是您第一次来这里,请不要忘记单击红色的订阅按钮。
Give me a thumbs up, leave a comment below.
给我点赞,在下面留下评论。
And if you have some time, there's always another English lesson to watch. Bye.
如果你有时间,还有另一节英语课可以看。 再见。
来源:英语东