摘要:Some things do just go into the landfill, they do just go into a big hole in the ground, but many things will actually be recycled
So that air conditioner no longer works.
所以那台空调不再工作了。
So I'm going to bring it to the dump.
所以我要把它带到垃圾场。
And I have a few other things that I need to bring to the dump as well.
我还有一些其他的东西需要带到垃圾场。
So I thought, let's learn English at the dump.
所以我想,我们去垃圾场学英语吧。
So I just need to back up to the house to get a few more things.
所以我只需要回到家里去拿几件东西。
But as I do that, I just want to explain that the dump is more than just a big hole in the ground.
但当我这样做时,我只是想解释一下,垃圾场不仅仅是地面上的一个大洞。
The reason I think it would be cool to do an English lesson at the dump is because the dump has a whole bunch of different sections.
我之所以认为在垃圾场上上英语课很酷,是因为垃圾场有很多不同的部分。
And I'll show you each of those sections.
我将向你们展示每一个部分。
And there's even a little surprise right by the front gate of the dump.
垃圾场前门附近甚至还有一个小惊喜。
I think you'll like it.
我想你会喜欢它。
So I also have a couple of bags of old clothes that I'm Not going to bring to the dump, but I'm going to bring them to the thrift store.
所以我还有几袋旧衣服,我不会把它们带到垃圾场,而是带到旧货店。
A thrift store is a store that sells used items, including used clothing.
旧货店是销售二手物品(包括二手衣服)的商店。
So instead of putting these in the dump, someone else will get a bit more use out of them.
因此,这些东西不会被扔进垃圾堆,而可以让其他人更好地利用它们。
Well, I think I'm ready to go.
嗯,我想我已经准备好出发了。
Are you ready to go?
你准备好出发了吗?
Let's go.
我们走吧。
So I've used the word dump, but technically this is a waste management site.
因此我使用了垃圾场这个词,但从技术上讲,这是一个废物管理场所。
Or sometimes we would call it a waste management facility or maybe a landfill.
或者有时我们称之为废物管理设施或垃圾填埋场。
A dump is more than just a big hole in the ground like I said.
正如我所说,垃圾场不仅仅是地面上的一个大洞。
It's a place where they sort things and we try to recycle as much as possible.
在这里,他们对物品进行分类,并尽可能进行回收。
Some things do just go into the landfill, they do just go into a big hole in the ground, but many things will actually be recycled.
有些东西确实会被送进垃圾填埋场,或者被扔进地面上的一个大洞,但很多东西实际上会被回收利用。
So I call it the dump because that's what I called it as a kid.
所以我称它为垃圾场,因为我小时候就是这么叫它的。
But it's really a waste management site.
但它实际上是一个废物管理场所。
So I think this is a great idea.
所以我认为这是一个好主意。
At the entrance to the dump, there is a donor welcome center where you can donate things that are still good, and they'll later be sold in a thrift store.
在垃圾场的入口处,有一个捐赠者接待中心,您可以在这里捐赠仍然完好的东西,然后它们会在旧货店出售。
So I'm quite happy that this is here because things that might normally go in the landfill can now get used again.
所以我很高兴有这个设施,因为通常会被送入垃圾填埋场的东西现在可以再次得到利用。
Okay, so the next thing we need to do is we need to get weighed.
好的,接下来我们要做的就是称重。
Not me, the van and everything that's in it needs to get weighed.
不是我,是货车和里面的所有东西都需要称重。
So we'll be pulling up onto the scale.
因此,我们将提高体重。
Hello!
你好!
What town?
哪个镇?
Smithville.
史密斯维尔。
What do we have today?
我们今天有什么?
I have an air conditioner and some electronics.
我有一台空调和一些电子设备。
So for the air conditioner, hun, there is a $22 surcharge off here.
所以对于空调来说,这里有 22 美元的附加费。
There's just no weight associated so it's just that 22 for you.
由于没有相关重量,因此对您来说只有 22。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Okay.
好的。
Thank you.
谢谢。
That always scares me.
这总是让我害怕。
There's a loud bang when you pull off the scale.
当你拉下秤时会发出一声巨响。
So the first part of the dump I'm going to show you is the electronics recycling area.
我要向您展示的垃圾场的第一部分是电子产品回收区。
This is a place where you can bring any kind of electronics.
这是一个您可以携带任何类型电子产品的地方。
Old computers, old radios, all of that kind of stuff.
旧电脑、旧收音机,所有这类东西。
I'll show you a close up of the image there.
我将向你展示那里的近照。
And there are two bins here that say electronics bin.
这里有两个垃圾箱,上面写着电子垃圾箱。
So one section of the dump, the electronics recycling area.
垃圾场的一部分是电子产品回收区。
So refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners have cfcs in them.
因此,冰箱、冷冻机和空调中都含有氟氯化碳。
I'm not quite sure what those are, but I'll put it.
我不太清楚它们是什么,但我会把它放上去。
I'll put the word up here, and I'll give you a definition.
我会把这个词放在这里,并给你一个定义。
They need to be put here so that that can be drained from them before they're properly recycled.
我们需要把它们放在这里,以便在进行适当的回收之前,能够把它们中的废物排出来。
So this is where I'm gonna put my air conditioner.
这就是我要放置空调的地方。
It's a little bit heavy.
有點重了。
So the next part of the dump we're going to go to is the toxic waste drop off area.
我们要去的垃圾场的下一个部分是有毒废物投放区。
So some things obviously can't go in a landfill because they are full of chemicals.
显然,有些东西不能被送入垃圾填埋场,因为它们充满了化学物质。
I have, like, one old paint can and a few other small things.
我有一个旧油漆罐和一些其他小东西。
Not a lot, but I'm going to go to this section here, and we'll drop off those items.
虽然不多,但我要去这里的这个部分,我们会把这些物品放下来。
Yeah.
是的。
Also called hazardous waste.
又称危险废物。
Hello, how are you?
你好吗?
I got some propane cans and a paint can.
我拿到了一些丙烷罐和一个油漆罐。
You're in the right spot.
你在正确的位置。
Okay, let me pull forward.
好的,让我向前走。
Thank you.
谢谢。
No problem.
没问题。
Okay, we have one last area of the dump to go to, and that is the main area of the dump where most household waste would go.
好的,我们还要去垃圾场的最后一个区域,这是垃圾场的主要区域,大多数家庭垃圾都会被送到这里。
You might be wondering, though, why am I at the dump?
你也许会疑惑,我为什么会在垃圾场?
Doesn't my garbage or trash get picked up every week at the end of our driveway?
我家车道尽头的垃圾不是每周都会被清理吗?
And it does, actually.
事实也确实如此。
But this is more of a place where you can bring lots of stuff.
但这更像是一个可以携带很多东西的地方。
You know, when you clean out your house or you clean out a shed, sometimes it's nice just to load up a van or trailer and bring it somewhere.
你知道,当你打扫房子或清理棚子时,有时把车装上货车或拖车并运到某个地方是件很愉快的事情。
So that's why I'm at the dump today.
这就是我今天来到垃圾场的原因。
But normally, we would just put it in bags and put out, I think, one bag a week, right now, we're allowed to do.
但通常情况下,我们只是将其放入袋子中,然后放出去,我想,每周一袋,现在,我们被允许这样做。
I just have one aquarium now.
我现在只有一个水族馆。
Perfect.
完美的。
Okay, thank you.
好的,谢谢。
Where is that?
哪里是?
Go to the third or fourth one.
转到第三或第四个。
好的,谢谢。
And here we have a section for household garbage.
这里有一个家庭垃圾部分。
No paint, oil, or other hazardous materials.
不含油漆、油或其他危险物质。
In this section, you will find anything that can't be recycled.
在这个部分,你会发现任何不能回收的东西。
So even though we do try to recycle everything that we can, there are sometimes things that can't be recycled, and this is the bin where they would go.
因此,尽管我们尽力回收所有可以回收的东西,但有时还是会有一些东西无法回收,而这些物品就只能被放入这个垃圾箱了。
Okay, so this part of the dump is for wood only, no metal, garbage or flooring.
好的,所以垃圾场的这部分只用于堆放木材,没有金属、垃圾或地板。
You can see in this bin here in this dumpster, there's just a lot of wood.
您可以看到,这个垃圾箱里的箱子里有很多木头。
You can bring wood from your house, if maybe you're doing a renovation.
如果你正在进行装修,你可以从你的房子里带木头。
You can bring branches or sticks, but this is where you would bring wood.
您可以携带树枝或木棍,但这里建议您携带木材。
Unfortunately, tires don't last forever.
不幸的是,轮胎无法永远使用。
I wish they did because the last set of tires I bought were quite expensive.
我希望他们这样做,因为我买的最后一套轮胎非常昂贵。
But this is the area where you would bring your old tires.
但这是您要带旧轮胎的地方。
I'm not sure exactly what they do with old tires, but I'm sure they take them somewhere and probably chop them up and make something new out of them.
我不清楚他们如何处理旧轮胎,但我确信他们会把旧轮胎带到某个地方,可能还会将其切碎,然后用它们制造出新的东西。
But if you have old tires, you bring them here, and I think you have to pay to drop your tires off.
但是如果您有旧轮胎,您可以将它们带到这里,而且我认为您必须付费才能放下轮胎。
So in this area, you can recycle styrofoam, and then you can also recycle any other container.
因此在这个领域,你可以回收泡沫塑料,然后你也可以回收任何其他容器。
So this is more like a traditional recycling area.
所以这更像是一个传统的回收区。
Anything that we would put into a blue box that's the color of the box that we use for our recycling can go into this container.
任何我们放入蓝色盒子(与我们用于回收的盒子的颜色相同)的东西都可以放入这个容器。
So if you have stuff that can be recycled, this is where you can bring it.
所以如果您有可以回收的东西,您可以把它带到这里。
And here is where you can put your cardboard.
您可以将纸板放在这里。
Must be flattened.
必須压平。
I actually think this might be a spelling mistake, but I'm not 100% sure.
我确实认为这可能是拼写错误,但我不是 100% 确定。
So if you have any cardboard, maybe you've bought a lot of things from Amazon and you don't know what to do with all of the cardboard boxes.
所以,如果您有纸板,也许您从亚马逊购买了很多东西,但不知道如何处理所有纸板箱。
You can bring them here and they can go in this bin, and these again will be recycled.
你可以把它们带到这里并放进这个垃圾箱,然后它们会再次被回收。
All cardboard in Canada is recycled, as far as I know.
据我所知,加拿大的所有纸板都是可回收的。
So if you have lots of it, this is where you would bring it.
所以如果你有很多的话,你可以把它带到这里。
And then, of course, you might have metal.
当然,你可能还有金属。
This is where you would bring scrap metal.
这是您要带废金属的地方。
Scrap simply means the metal is not usable anymore.
废料只是意味着金属不再可用。
No wood or plastic in this bin.
此垃圾箱内不含木材或塑料。
They simply want scrap metal.
他们只是想要废金属。
So if you have anything that's made out of metal, this is where you would bring it.
所以如果你有任何金属制品,你可以把它带到这里。
So if you have bottles or cans, you can bring them here.
所以如果你有瓶子或罐子,你可以把它们带到这里。
Bottles and cans can be recycled.
瓶子和罐子可以回收利用。
It actually looks like here you can return them for charity.
实际上,看起来你可以在这里将它们归还用于慈善事业。
That means somehow they get some money for all of these bottles and cans.
这意味着他们可以通过这些瓶子和罐子赚到一些钱。
And a charity is an organization that does good things for other people.
慈善机构是一个为他人做善事的组织。
So they get the money from all of the bottles and cans of that people have brought here.
所以他们从人们带到这里的所有瓶瓶罐罐中获取钱财。
So if you have lots of bottles and cans, you can bring them right here.
所以如果您有很多瓶子和罐子,您可以将它们直接带到这里。
So I'm not allowed back there.
所以我不被允许回去那里。
But way in the distance, you can see large piles of what look like dirt that is actually compost.
但在远处,你可以看到一大堆看起来像泥土的东西,但实际上却是堆肥。
In my part of Ontario, Canada, you can put compost at the road and it will get picked up and it comes here to the waste management site.
在我居住的加拿大安大略省,你可以把堆肥放在路边,然后人们会把它收集起来,运到废物管理站。
So basically what they do is they take kitchen scraps, leaves, grass clippings, all of those kinds of things get mixed and turned a whole bunch of times.
所以他们基本上做的事情就是把厨余,树叶,草屑等所有这些东西混合在一起并翻转很多次。
And eventually it turns into really, really good compost.
最终它会变成非常好的堆肥。
So I just have to weigh out and they'll tell me how much I owe.
所以我只需要称重他们就会告诉我欠多少钱。
Many things are free to drop off at the dump, but you do have to pay for some things.
许多东西都可以免费扔到垃圾场,但有些东西则需要付费。
I think I have to pay for the air conditioner for a, there's a disposal fee and then you pay sometimes by weight.
我想我必须支付空调费用,还有处理费,然后有时还要按重量付费。
So we'll see.
我们拭目以待。
$22 please sir.
先生,请付 22 美元。
That's for the air conditioner.
那是空调用的。
Yeah.
是的。
Yeah, we'll do debit.
是的,我们会进行借记。
Yeah, we didn't charge you weight, just the price of the.
是的,我们没有向您收取重量费用,只收取价格。
And can I get a receipt?
我可以拿到收据吗?
Well, thank you for watching this English lesson at the dump.
好吧,感谢您观看这场在垃圾场举行的英语课。
I hope you were able to learn a few new English words and phrases that you can use in your next conversation about garbage and trash.
我希望您能够学到一些新的英语单词和短语,以便在下次谈论垃圾和废物时使用它们。
Anyways, thanks for watching.
无论如何,感谢您的观看。
If you're new here, don't forget to click that red subscribe button.
Give me a thumbs up, leave a comment, and if you have some time and you want to learn a bit more English, there's always more lessons to watch.
给我点赞,留下评论,如果你有时间,并且想多学一点英语,总有更多的课程可以观看。
来源:英语东