摘要:There we were, an Indian and the Thai calling me, a Chinese, in Mongolia to decipher a washer in Tanzania.
Last summer when I was doing my internship in Mongolia, I got a call from two classmates in Tanzania.
去年夏天我在蒙古实习时,突然接到两名在坦桑尼亚的同学电话。
They had a very urgent question.
他们有一个非常紧急的事情。
How to use their washing machine because all the labels were in Chinese and Google kept translating a big button as spinning ghost mode.
关于如何使用他们的洗衣机,因为所有的标签都是中文的,而谷歌一直把一个大按钮翻译成“幽灵模式”。
There we were, an Indian and the Thai calling me, a Chinese, in Mongolia to decipher a washer in Tanzania.
当时,一个印度人和一个泰国人找我这个中国人,在蒙古解决坦桑尼亚的洗衣机问题。
And we all studied together here at Harvard.
我们都是哈佛学生。
The moment reminds me of something I used to believe when I was a kid that the world was becoming a small village.
那一刻,我回忆起儿时的一个想法:世界正在变成一个小村庄。
I remember being told we will be the first generation to end hunger and poverty for humankind.
我记得有人告诉我们,我们将是终结人类饥饿和贫困的第一代。
My program at Harvard is International Development.
我在哈佛大学学习的是国际发展专业。
It was built on this exact beautiful vision that humanity rises and falls as one.
它正是建立在“人类同舟共济、荣辱与共”这一美好愿景之上。
When I met my 77 classmates from 32 different countries, the countries I knew only as colorful shapes on a map turned into real people with laughter, dreams, and the perseverance to survive the long winter in Cambridge.
当我遇到来自32个不同国家的77位同学时,我所认识的那些国家,那些地图上色彩斑斓的图案,如今都变成了活生生的人,他们拥有梦想,以及在剑桥镇度过漫长寒冬的毅力。
We danced through each other's traditions and carried the weight of each other's walls.
我们穿梭于彼此的传统之中,承载着彼此世界的重量。
Global challenges suddenly felt personal.
全球挑战突然变得切身相关。
If there's a woman anywhere in the world who cannot afford a period pad, it makes me poor.
如果世界上有任何一个女性买不起卫生巾,那会让我感到自己也很贫穷。
If a girl who skips school out of fear of harassment, that threatens my dignity.
如果一个女孩因为害怕受到骚扰而逃学,我的尊严就会受到威胁。
If a little boy dies in a war that he didn't start and never understood, part of me dies with him.
如果一个小男孩死于一场他未曾参与也从未理解的战争,我心中的一部分也会随他而去。
But today, that promise of a connected world, it's giving way to division, fear and conflict.
但如今,互联世界的美好愿景正被分裂、恐惧和冲突所取代。
We're starting to believe those who think differently, vote differently, will pray differently whether they are across the ocean, or sitting right next to us, are not just wrong.
我们开始相信那些想法不同、投票不同或祈祷方式不同的人,无论是远在大洋彼岸还是就坐在我们旁边,不仅仅是对或错的问题。
We mistakenly see them as evil.
我们错误地将异类视为邪恶。
But it doesn't have to be this way.
但事情不必如此。
What I've gained most from Harvard isn't just calculus or regression analysis, is to sit with discomfort, listen deeply, and stay soft in hard times.
我在哈佛获得的不仅仅是微积分或回归分析,而是学会在不适中坐下来,深入倾听,在艰难时刻保持柔软。
Because if we still believe in a shared future, let us not forget those who were labeled as enemies.
如果我们仍然相信有一个共同的未来,就不要忘记那些被贴上敌人标签的人。
They too are human.
他们也是人。
In seeing their humanity, we find our own.
在看到他们的共通人性时,我们找到了自己的。
In the end, we do not rise by proving each other wrong.
最终,我们并非靠证明彼此的错误而崛起。
We rise by refusing to let one another go.
我们团结一心,拒绝放弃彼此。
So, class of 2025, when the world feels stuck in spinning ghost mode, just remember as we leave this campus, we carry everyone we've met across wealth and poverty, cities and villages, faith and doubt.
所以,2025届的同学们, 当世界感觉像是陷入了旋转鬼魂模式时,只要记得当我们离开这所校园,我们会带着我们遇到过的每一个人, 跨越富足与贫困,城市与乡村,信仰与怀疑。
They speak different languages and dream different dreams, and yet they've all become part of us.
他们说着不同的语言,怀揣着不同的梦想,然而他们都成为了我们的一部分。
You may disagree with them, but hold on to them as we are bound by something deeper than belief.
你可能会不同意他们的观点,但请紧紧抓住他们,因为我们被比信念更深的东西所联系。
Our shared humanity.
我们共同的人性。
Congratulations, class of 2025.
恭喜2025届的同学们。
来源:英语东