摘要:so to distinguish between them, people called the man who had four horses Big Claus, and the man who had only one horse Little Cla
Little Claus and Big Claus
小克劳斯和大克劳斯
In a village there lived two men who had the self-same name.
在一个村庄里,住着两个名字一模一样的男人。
Both were named Claus.
他们都叫克劳斯。
But one of them owned four horses, and the other owned only one horse;
但一个拥有四匹马,另一个只有一匹马;
so to distinguish between them, people called the man who had four horses Big Claus, and the man who had only one horse Little Claus.
为了区分他们,人们把有四匹马的那个叫大克劳斯,只有一匹马的那个叫小克劳斯。
Now I’ll tell you what happened to these two, for this is a true story.
现在我要告诉你他们身上发生了什么,因为这是一个真实的故事。
The whole week through, Little Claus had to plow for Big Claus and lend him his only horse.
整整一周,小克劳斯必须为大克劳斯犁地,并把自己唯一的那匹马借给他。
In return, Big Claus lent him all four of his horses, but only for one day a week, and that had to be Sunday.
作为回报,大克劳斯把自己四匹马全借给他,但一星期只借一天,而且必须是星期天。
Each Sunday, how proudly Little Claus cracked his whip over all the five horses, which were as good as his own on that day.
每到星期天,小克劳斯多么得意地甩着鞭子,驱赶那五匹马,就好像它们那天完全属于他一样。
How brightly the sun shone.
阳光多么灿烂。
How merry were the church bells that rang in the steeple.
教堂尖塔上传来的钟声多么欢快。
How well dressed were all the people who passed him with hymnbooks tucked under their arms.
那些夹着赞美诗集从他身边走过的村民,穿得多么体面。
And as they went their way to church, to hear the parson preach, how the people did stare to see Little Claus plowing with all five horses.
当他们前往教堂听牧师讲道时,看到小克劳斯赶着五匹马犁地,都瞪大了眼睛。
This made him feel so proud that he would crack his whip and holler, “Get up, all my horses.”
这让他得意极了,于是甩响鞭子高喊:"驾,我所有的马儿!"
“You must not say that,” Big Claus told him.
"你不能那样喊,"大克劳斯对他说。
“You know as well as I do that only one of those horses is yours.”
"你心里和我一样清楚,那些马里只有一匹是你的。"
But no sooner did another bevy of churchgoers come by than Little Claus forgot he mustn’t say it, and hollered, “Get up, all my horses.”
可每当又一群做礼拜的人路过,小克劳斯就忘了不许喊的话,仍旧高声吆喝:"驾,我所有的马儿!"
“Don’t you say that again,” Big Claus told him.
"别再那么喊了,"大克劳斯警告他。
“If you do, I’ll knock your horse down dead in his traces, and that will be the end of him.”
"要是你再喊,我就当场把你的马打倒在地,让它死个干净。"
“You won’t catch me saying it again,” Little Claus promised.
"我再也不喊了,"小克劳斯保证道。
But as soon as people came by, nodding to him and wishing him “Good morning,” he was so pleased and so proud of how grand it looked to have five horses plowing his field, that he hollered again, “Get up, all my horses!”
然而只要有人路过,向他点头道"早安",他又得意忘形,觉得五匹马犁地气派极了,忍不住再次高喊:"驾,我所有的马儿!"
“I’ll get up your horse for you,” Big Claus said, and he snatched up a tethering mallet, and he knocked Little Claus’s one and only horse on the head so hard that it fell down dead.
"我来让你的马'驾'个够,"大克劳斯说着,抓起拴马桩,对准小克劳斯那匹唯一的马头猛地一击,马当场倒地死去。
“Now I haven’t any horse at all,” said Little Claus, and he began to cry.
"现在我连一匹马也没有了,"小克劳斯说着哭了起来。
But by and by, he skinned his dead horse and hung the hide to dry in the wind.
但过了一会儿,他把死马剥皮,把马皮挂起来风干。
Then he crammed the dry skin in a sack, slung it up over his shoulder, and set out to sell it in the nearest town.
随后他把干马皮塞进麻袋,扛上肩膀,动身到最近的镇上去卖。
It was a long way to go, and he had to pass through a dark, dismal forest.
路途遥远,他得穿过一片幽暗阴森的树林。
Suddenly a terrible storm came up, and he lost his way.
突然狂风暴雨大作,他迷了路。
Before he could find it again, evening overtook him.
还没找回方向,夜幕就降临了。
The town was still a long way off, and he had come too far to get back home before night.
镇子还远得很,他已走得太深,无法在夜里返家。
Not far from the road he saw a large farmhouse.
离大路不远,他看见一座宽敞的农舍。
The shutters were closed, but light showed through a crack at the top of the windows.
百叶窗紧闭,但窗顶缝隙透出灯光。
“Maybe they’ll let me spend the night here,” Little Claus thought, as he went to the door and knocked.
"也许他们会让我过夜,"小克劳斯想着,走到门前敲了敲。
The farmer’s wife opened it, but when she heard what he wanted, she told him to go away.
农妇开了门,但一听他要借宿,便叫他走开。
She said her husband wasn’t home, and she wouldn’t have any strangers in the house.
她说丈夫不在家,她不留陌生人。
“Then I’ll have to sleep outside,” Little Claus decided, as she slammed the door in his face.
"那我就只能睡外面了,"小克劳斯无奈地想,被她当面砰地关上了门。
Near the farmhouse stood a large haystack, leading up to the thatched roof of a shed, which lay between it and the house.
农舍旁有一个大草垛,草垛连着一座棚屋的茅草屋顶,棚屋位于草垛与主屋之间。
“That’s where I’ll sleep,” said Little Claus when he noticed the thatch.
"我就睡那儿,"小克劳斯看见茅草屋顶时说。
“It will make a wonderful bed.
"那可是张好床。
All I hope is that the stork doesn’t fly down and bite my legs.”
我只希望鹳鸟别飞下来啄我的腿。"
For a stork was actually standing guard on the roof where it had a nest.
原来屋顶上真有只鹳鸟守着它的巢。
So Little Claus climbed to the roof of the shed.
于是小克劳斯爬上了棚屋的屋顶。
As he turned over to make himself comfortable, he discovered that the farmhouse shutters didn’t come quite to the top of the windows, and he could see over them.
他翻身想躺得舒服些,发现农舍的百叶窗没到窗顶,他能望见屋里。
He could see into a room where a big table was spread with wine and roast meat and a delicious fish.
他看见屋里一张大桌上摆着酒、烤肉和一条美味的鱼。
The farmer’s wife and the sexton were sitting there at the table, all by themselves.
农妇和教堂执事正单独坐在桌旁。
She kept helping him to wine, and he kept helping himself to fish.
她不停地给他斟酒,他则不停地吃鱼。
He must have loved fish.
看来他极爱吃鱼。
“Oh, if only I could have some too,” thought Little Claus.
"唉,要是我也能吃上几口就好了,"小克劳斯想。
By craning his neck toward the window he caught sight of a great, appetizing cake.
他伸长脖子往窗里瞅,又看见一块诱人的大蛋糕。
Why, they were feasting in there!
原来他们在里面大吃大喝!
Just then he heard someone riding down the road to the house.
就在这时,他听见有人骑着马路过,朝这所房子赶来。
It was the farmer coming home.
原来是农夫回家了。
He was an excellent man except for just one thing.
他是个大好人,只除了一点毛病。
He could not stand the sight of a sexton.
他受不了看见教堂执事。
If he so much as caught a glimpse of one, he would fly into a furious rage,
只要让他瞧见执事一眼,他就会勃然大怒,
which was the reason why the sexton had gone to see the farmer’s wife while her husband was away from home,
正因如此,执事才趁农夫不在家时来找他老婆,
and the good woman could do no less than set before him all the good things to eat that she had in the house.
而这位好心的女人也只能把家里所有好吃的都端出来款待他。
When she heard the farmer coming, she trembled for the sexton, and begged him to creep into a big empty chest, which stood in one corner of the room.
听见农夫回来了,她为执事发抖,求他赶紧钻进房间角落里那只空的大箱子。
He lost no time about it, because he knew full well that her poor husband couldn’t stand the sight of a sexton.
执事立刻照办,因为他很清楚她丈夫见不得执事。
The woman quickly set aside the wine and hid the good food in her oven, because if her husband had seen the feast, he would have asked questions hard to answer.
女人迅速把酒收走,把好吃的全藏进烤炉,因为要是让丈夫看见这桌酒席,肯定会追问个没完。
“Oh dear!” Up on the shed, Little Claus sighed to see all the good food disappearing.
"哎呀!"屋顶上的小克劳斯看着美食被收走,不禁叹息。
“Who’s up there?” the farmer peered at Little Claus.
"上面是谁?"农夫抬头盯着小克劳斯。
“Whatever are you doing up there? Come into the house with me.”
"你在那上头干什么?跟我进屋。"
So Little Claus came down.
小克劳斯便爬了下来。
He told the farmer how he had lost his way, and asked if he could have shelter for the night.
他告诉农夫自己迷了路,请求借宿一晚。
“Of course,” said the farmer, “but first, let’s have something to eat.”
"当然可以,"农夫说,"不过先吃点东西。"
The farmer’s wife received them well, laid the whole table, and set before them a big bowl of porridge.
农妇殷勤接待,摆好桌子,端上一大碗粥。
The farmer was hungry and ate it with a good appetite, but Little Claus was thinking about the good roast meat, that fish and that cake in the oven.
农夫饿了,吃得津津有味,可小克劳斯心里惦记着炉子里的烤肉、鱼和蛋糕。
Beside his feet under the table lay his sack with the horsehide, for as we know, he was on his way to sell it in the town.
桌脚下放着他装马皮的袋子,我们知道他正打算拿去镇上卖。
Not liking the porridge at all, Little Claus trod on the sack, and the dry hide gave a loud squeak.
他一点也不喜欢这粥,便踩了一脚袋子,干马皮发出响亮的嘎吱声。
“Sh!” Little Claus said to his sack, at the same time that he trod on it so hard that it squeaked even louder.
"嘘!"小克劳斯对袋子说,同时又重重踩了一脚,声音更响了。
“What on Earth have you got in there?” said the farmer.
"你那里头到底装了什么?"农夫问。
“Oh, just a conjuror,” said Little Claus.
"哦,只是个魔法师,"小克劳斯说。
“He tells me we don’t have to eat porridge, because he has conjured up a whole oven-full of roast meat, fish, and cake for us.”
"他告诉我我们不必喝粥,因为他已经变出满满一炉子的烤肉、鱼和蛋糕。"
“What do you say?” said the farmer.
"你说什么?"农夫问。
He made haste to open the oven, where he found all the good dishes.
他赶紧打开烤炉,果然看见那些好菜。
His wife had hidden them there, but he quite believed that they had been conjured up by the wizard in the sack.
那些菜是他老婆藏进去的,可他却真以为是袋里的魔法师变出来的。
His wife didn’t dare open her mouth as she helped them to their fill of meat, fish, and cake.
他老婆不敢吭声,只能给他们夹肉、夹鱼、分蛋糕,让他们吃个够。
Then Little Claus trod upon the sack to make it squeak again.
接着小克劳斯又踩袋子,让它再嘎吱作响。
“What does he say now?” asked the farmer.
"他现在说什么?"农夫问。
“He says,” Little Claus answered, “that there are three bottles of wine for us in the corner by the oven.”
"他说,"小克劳斯回答,"烤炉角上还有三瓶酒等着我们。"
So the woman had to bring out the wine she had hidden.
于是女人只好把藏起的酒也拿出来。
The farmer drank it till he grew merry, and wanted to get himself a conjuror just like the one Little Claus carried in his sack.
农夫喝得兴高采烈,便想给自己也弄一个像小克劳斯袋子里那样的魔法师。
“Can he conjure up the devil?” the farmer wondered.
"他能变出魔鬼吗?"农夫好奇地问。
“I’m in just the mood to meet him.”
"我正想会会魔鬼呢。"
“Oh, yes,” said Little Claus.
"哦,当然,"小克劳斯说。
“My conjuror can do anything I tell him. Can’t you?” he asked and trod upon the sack till it squeaked.
"我的魔法师能办到我吩咐的一切。是不是?"他问着,又踩得袋子嘎吱响。
“Did you hear him answer? He said ‘Yes.’
"你听见他回答了吗?他说'行'。
He can conjure up the devil, but he’s afraid we won’t like the look of him.”
他能变出魔鬼,只是担心我们见了他的模样会不喜欢。"
“Oh, I’m not afraid. What’s he like?”
"我可不怕。他长什么样?"
“Well, he looks an awful lot like a sexton.”
"嗯,他跟教堂执事长得几乎一模一样。"
“Ho,” said the farmer, “as ugly as that?
"嗬,"农夫说,"丑成那样?
I can’t bear the sight of a sexton.
我可受不了看见执事。
But don’t let that stop us.
但别为这个停下。
Now that I know it’s just the devil, I shan’t mind it so much.
既然知道那只是魔鬼,我就不会太介意。
I’ll face him, provided he doesn’t come near me.”
只要他别靠近我,我就敢面对他。"
“Wait, while I talk with my conjuror.”
"等等,让我先跟魔法师谈谈。"
Little Claus trod on the sack and stooped down to listen.
小克劳斯踩了踩袋子,俯身假装倾听。
“What does he say?”
"他说什么?"
“He says for you to go and open that big chest in the corner, and there you’ll find the devil doubled up inside it.
"他说,你去把角落里那只大箱子打开,魔鬼就蜷缩在里面。
But you must hold fast to the lid, so he doesn’t pop out.”
但你得按住盖子,别让他跳出来。"
“Will you help me hold it?” said the farmer.
"你能帮我按住吗?"农夫问。
He went to the chest in which his wife had hidden the sexton—once frightened, now terrified.
他走向那只箱子——他老婆把执事藏在了里面,执事先是害怕,现在更是吓得要命。
The farmer lifted the lid a little, and peeped in.
农夫微微掀起箱盖,往里偷看。
“Ho!” he sprang back.
"嗬!"他吓得跳开。
“I saw him, and he’s the image of our sexton, a horrible sight!”
"我看见他了,长得就跟我们执事一模一样,真吓人!"
After that, they needed another drink, and sat there drinking far into the night.
之后他们觉得得再喝几杯,于是坐在那里痛饮到深夜。
---
如需继续,请告诉我!“You must sell me your conjuror,” said the farmer.
"你得把那个魔法师卖给我,"农夫说。
“You can fix your own price. I’d pay you a bushel of money right away.”
"价钱随你开,我立刻给你一蒲式耳钱。"
“Oh, I couldn’t do that,” Little Claus said.
"唉,这我可不能卖,"小克劳斯说。
“Just think how useful my conjuror is.”
"你想想,我这魔法师多有用。"
“But I’d so like to have him.” The farmer kept begging to buy it.
"可我真想得到他。"农夫不停地央求要买。
“Well,” said Little Claus at last,
"好吧,"小克劳斯最后说,
“you’ve been kind enough to give me a night’s lodging, so I can’t say no.
"你这么好心地让我过夜,我也没法拒绝。
You shall have my sack for a bushel of money, but it must be full to the brim.”
就把这袋子给你,换一蒲式耳钱,不过得装得满满的。"
“You shall have it,” said the farmer.
"一定给你装得满满的,"农夫答应。
“But you must take that chest along with you, too.
"可你得把那只箱子也带走。
I won’t have it in the house another hour.
我一小时也不想再留它。
He might still be inside it. You never can tell.”
说不定魔鬼还在里头,谁说得准呢。"
So Little Claus sold his sack with the dried horsehide in it,
就这样,小克劳斯把装着干马皮的袋子卖了,
and was paid a bushel of money, measured up to the brim.
换得满满一蒲式耳钱。
The farmer gave him a wheelbarrow, too, in which to wheel away the money and the chest.
农夫还借给他一辆独轮车,让他把钱和箱子推走。
“Fare you well,” said Little Claus, and off he went with his money and his chest with the sexton in it.
"再见啦,"小克劳斯说,推着钱和那只装着执事的箱子上了路。
On the further side of the forest was a deep, wide river,
森林另一边是一条又深又宽的河,
where the current ran so strong that it was almost impossible to swim against it.
水流湍急,几乎没人能逆流游动。
A big new bridge had been built across the river,
河上架起了一座新建的大桥,
and when Little Claus came to the middle of it, he said, very loud so the sexton could hear him:
小克劳斯走到桥中央时,故意大声说道——好让箱子里的执事听见:
“Now what would I be doing with this silly chest? It’s as heavy as stone,
"我要这只笨箱子干嘛?沉得像石头,
and I’m too tired to wheel it any further.
我也累坏了,不想再推。
So I’ll throw it in the river, and if it drifts down to my house, well and good,
干脆把它扔进河里,要是能漂到我家就算它命大,
but if it sinks, I haven’t lost much.”
沉了我也没啥损失。"
Then he tilted the chest a little, as if he were about to tip it into the river.
说着他把箱子微微倾斜,做出要把它掀进河里的样子。
“Stop! Don’t!” the sexton shouted inside.
"住手!别扔!"执事在箱子里大叫。
“Let me get out first.”
"先让我出来!"
“Oh,” said Little Claus, pretending to be frightened,
"哟,"小克劳斯装出害怕的样子,
“is he still there? Then I’d better throw him into the river and drown him.”
"他还在呀?那我更得把他扔河里淹死。"
“Oh no, don’t do that to me!” the sexton shouted.
"千万别!别这么干!"执事喊得嗓子都破了。
“I’d give a bushel of money to get out of this.”
"我愿出一蒲式耳钱换我出来!"
“Why, that’s altogether different,” said Little Claus, opening the chest.
"哎呀,那就另当别论了,"小克劳斯说着掀开箱盖。
The sexton popped out at once, pushed the empty chest into the water,
执事立刻蹦出来,把空箱子推进河里,
and hurried home to give Little Claus a bushel of money.
然后飞奔回家,拿了一蒲式耳钱给小克劳斯。
What with the farmer’s bushel and the sexton’s bushel, Little Claus had his wheelbarrow quite full.
农夫给的一蒲式耳,加上执事给的一蒲式耳,小克劳斯的独轮车堆得满满当当。
“I got a good price for my horse,” he said when he got home
"我的马卖了个好价钱,"回到家时他说,
and emptied all the money in a heap on the floor of his room.
把钱全倒在地上,堆成一座小山。
“How Big Claus will fret when he finds out that my one horse has made me so rich,
"大克劳斯要是知道我那匹马让我发了财,准得气疯,
but I won’t tell him how I managed it.”
可我绝不告诉他我是怎么弄的。"
Then he sent a boy to borrow a bushel measure from Big Claus.
于是他派一个孩子去大克劳斯家借一蒲式耳的量具。
“Whatever would he want with it?” Big Claus wondered,
"他借那玩意儿干嘛?"大克劳斯心里纳闷,
and smeared pitch on the bottom of the bushel so that a little of what he measured would stick to it.
便在量具底部抹了柏油,这样量过的东西多少会粘上一点。
And so it happened that when he got his measure back, he found three newly minted pieces of silver stuck to it.
果然,量具还回来时,底下粘着三枚新打的银币。
“What’s this?” Big Claus ran to see Little Claus.
"这是怎么回事?"大克拉斯立刻跑去找小克劳斯。
“Where did you get so much money?”
"你哪儿弄来这么多钱?"
“Oh, that’s what I got for the horsehide I sold last night.”
"哦,是我昨晚卖马皮赚的。"
“Heavens above! How the price of hides must have gone up.”
"老天!马皮现在竟这么值钱!"
Big Claus ran home, took an ax, and knocked all four of his horses on the head.
大克劳斯跑回家,抡起斧头,把自己那四匹马全给砸死了。
Then he ripped their hides off, and set out to town with them.
接着他把马皮剥下,扛着进城去。
“Hides, hides! Who’ll buy hides?” he bawled, up and down the streets.
"卖马皮喽!谁买马皮?"他沿街大喊。
All the shoemakers and tanners came running to ask what their price was.
鞋匠和制革匠全跑来问价。
“A bushel of money apiece,” he told them.
"每张皮一蒲式耳钱,"他回答。
“Are you crazy?” they asked.
"你疯了吧?"众人反问。
“Do you think we spend money by the bushel?”
"你以为钱能用蒲式耳量着花?"
“Hides, hides! Who’ll buy hides?” he kept on shouting,
"马皮!马皮!谁买马皮?"他继续吆喝,
and to those who asked how much, he said, “A bushel of money.”
凡是问价的,他都说:"一蒲式耳钱。"
“He takes us for fools,” they said.
"他把我们当傻子,"众人恼道。
The shoemakers took their straps, and the tanners their leather aprons,
鞋匠抄起皮带,制革匠抓起皮围裙,
and they beat Big Claus through the town.
把大克劳斯一路打出城去。
“Hides, hides!” they mocked him.
"马皮!马皮!"他们边打边嘲笑。
“We’ll tan your hide for you if you don’t get out of town.”
"再不走,我们就把你自己的皮剥下来当马皮!"
Big Claus had to run as fast as he could.
大克劳斯拼命逃窜。
He had never been beaten so badly.
他这辈子从没挨过这么狠的打。
“Little Claus will pay for this,” he said when he got back home.
"小克劳斯得为这事付出代价,"回到家他说。
“I’ll kill him for it.”
"我要宰了他。"
Now it so happened that Little Claus’s old grandmother had just died.
恰在此时,小克劳斯的年迈祖母刚刚去世。
She had been as cross as could be—never a kind word did she have for him—
她脾气坏透了——从未对他说过一句好话——
but he was sorry to see her die.
可见她死了,他还是有些难过。
He put the dead woman in his own warm bed, just in case she came to life again,
他把死者安放在自己暖和的床上,心想万一她能活过来呢,
and let her lie there all night while he napped in a chair in the corner, as he had done so often before.
便让她整夜躺在床上,自己则像往常那样窝在墙角椅子上打盹。
As he sat there in the night, the door opened, and in came Big Claus with an ax.
夜半时分,门忽然被推开,大克劳斯提着斧头闯了进来。
He knew exactly where Little Claus’s bed was, so he went straight to it
他清楚知道小克劳斯的床在哪儿,径直扑过去,
and knocked the dead grandmother on the head, under the impression that she was Little Claus.
对准床上"小克劳斯"的脑袋就是一斧,其实那是死去的祖母。
“There,” he said, “You won’t fool me again.” Then he went home.
"这下,"他说,"你再也不能骗我了。"说完便回家去了。
“What a wicked man,” said Little Claus.
"多狠毒的家伙,"小克劳斯说。
“Why, he would have killed me. It’s lucky for my grandmother that she was already dead, or he’d have been the death of her.”
"他竟想杀我。好在祖母早走一步,不然也被他害死了。"
He dressed up his old grandmother in her Sunday best,
他给祖母换上最体面的礼拜日衣裳,
borrowed a neighbor’s horse, and hitched up his cart.
向邻居借来马匹,套好小车。
On the back seat, he propped up his grandmother, wedged in so that the jolts would not topple her over,
他把祖母安放在后座上,用东西固定,免得颠簸时倒下,
and away they went through the forest.
随即驱车进入树林。
When the sun came up, they drew abreast of a large inn, where Little Claus halted and went in to get him some breakfast.
太阳升起时,他们来到一家大客栈,小克劳斯停车进去吃早餐。
The innkeeper was a wealthy man, and a good enough fellow in his way, but his temper was as fiery as if he were made of pepper and snuff.
店主颇有家财,为人也算不错,就是脾气火爆,仿佛全身由胡椒和鼻烟做成。
“Good morning,” he said to Little Claus. “You’re up and dressed mighty early.”
"早安,"他对小克劳斯说,"你可真早,穿戴得整整齐齐。"
“Yes,” said Little Claus. “I am bound for the town with my old grandmother, who is sitting out there in the cart.
"是啊,"小克劳斯说,"我要进镇去,老祖母坐在外面车里。
I can’t get her to come in, but you might take her a glass of mead.
我劝不动她进来,您能否端杯蜜酒给她?
You’ll have to shout to make her hear you, for she’s deaf as a post.”
您得大声喊,她耳朵背得像根柱子。"
“I’ll take it right out.” The innkeeper poured a glass full of mead and took it to the dead grandmother, who sat stiffly on the cart.
"我这就送去。"店主斟满一杯蜜酒,端到那位僵直地坐在车上的死者面前。
“Your grandson sent you a glass of mead,” said the innkeeper, but the dead woman said never a word.
"您孙子给您送了杯蜜酒,"店主说,可死人哪有回应。
She just sat there.
她只是静静地坐着。
“Don’t you hear me?” the innkeeper shouted his loudest. “Here’s a glass of mead from your grandson.”
"您听不见吗?"店主扯开嗓子,"您孙子给您送蜜酒来啦!"
Time after time he shouted it, but she didn’t budge.
他喊了一遍又一遍,老妇人纹丝不动。
He flew into such a rage that he threw the glass in her face.
他勃然大怒,竟把酒杯朝她脸上砸去。
The mead splashed all over her as she fell over backward, for she was just propped up, not tied in place.
蜜酒溅了她一身,她也仰面倒下——原本就只是倚着,并未绑牢。
“Confound it!” Little Claus rushed out the door and took the innkeeper by the throat.
"该死!"小克劳斯冲出门,一把掐住店主脖子。
“You’ve gone and killed my grandmother. Look! There’s a big hole in her forehead.”
"你杀了我祖母!瞧,她额头一个大洞!"
“Oh, what a calamity!” The innkeeper wrung his hands.
"哎呀,大祸了!"店主绞着双手。
“And all because of my fiery temper.
"都怪我火爆脾气。
Dear Little Claus, I’ll give you a bushel of money, and I’ll bury your grandmother as if she were my very own.
亲爱的小克劳斯,我给你一蒲式耳钱,还会把你祖母当亲人一样安葬。
But you must hush this thing up for me, or they’ll chop off my head—how I’d hate it.”
只求你别声张,不然我脑袋就保不住了,那多可怕。"
So it came about that Little Claus got another bushel of money,
就这样,小克劳斯又得到一蒲式耳钱,
and the landlord buried the old grandmother as if she’d been his own.
店主也把老妇人当自家亲属一样下了葬。
Just as soon as Little Claus got home, he sent a boy to borrow a bushel measure from Big Claus.
小克劳斯一到家,又派孩子去大克劳斯家借量具。
“Little Claus wants to borrow it?” Big Claus asked.
"小克劳斯要借量具?"大克劳斯纳闷。
“Didn’t I kill him? I’ll go and see about that.”
"我不是已经把他杀了吗?我得亲自走一趟。"
So he himself took the measure over to Little Claus.
于是他亲自拎着量具去了小克劳斯家。
“Where did you get all that money?” he asked when he saw the height of the money pile.
"你哪儿弄来这么一大堆钱?"他看见钱堆惊问。
“When you killed my grandmother instead of me,” Little Claus told him,
"你杀的是我祖母而不是我,"小克劳斯回答,
“I sold her for a bushel of money.”
"我把她卖了一蒲式耳钱。"
“Heavens above! That was indeed a good price,” said Big Claus.
"老天!这价钱可真不错,"大克劳斯说。
He hurried home, took an ax, and knocked his old grandmother on the head.
他急忙回家,抡起斧头,照自己老祖母脑袋就是一下。
Then he put her in a cart, drove off to town,
接着把尸体装车,赶进城里,
and asked the apothecary if he wanted to buy a dead body.
问药铺老板要不要买具尸体。
“Whose dead body?” asked the apothecary. “Where’d you get it?”
"谁的尸体?"药铺老板问,"你从哪儿弄来的?"
“It’s my grandmother’s dead body. I killed her for a bushel of money,” Big Claus told him.
"是我祖母的尸体。我杀了她,想换一蒲式耳钱,"大克劳斯如实说。
“Lord,” said the apothecary. “Man, you must be crazy.
"老天爷,"药铺老板惊呼,"你疯了吧?
Don’t talk like that, or they’ll chop off your head.”
再这么讲,小心脑袋搬家!"
Then he told him straight he had done a wicked deed, that he was a terrible fellow,
他痛斥大克劳斯干下恶事,是个可恶的家伙,
and that the worst of punishments was much too good for him.
说最重的刑罚对他都嫌轻。
Big Claus got frightened. He jumped in his cart, whipped up the horses, and drove home as fast as they would take him.
大克劳斯吓坏了,跳上马车,猛抽马鞭,拼命逃回家去。
The apothecary and everyone else thought he must be a madman, so they didn’t stand in his way.
药铺老板和旁人只当他是疯子,也无人阻拦。
“I’ll see that you pay for this,” said Big Claus when he reached the high road.
"我一定要让你付出代价,"大克劳斯上了大路后恨恨地说。
“Oh, won’t I make you pay for this, Little Claus!”
"哼,小克劳斯,我非让你偿还不可!"
The moment he got home, he took the biggest sack he could find, went to see Little Claus, and said:
一到家,他抓起最大的口袋,冲到小克劳斯家,说:
“You’ve deceived me again. First, I killed my four horses.
"你又骗我!先让我杀了四匹马,
Then I killed my old grandmother, and it’s all your fault.
接着又杀了我祖母,全因你而起。
But I’ll make sure you don’t make a fool of me again.”
这回我绝不再让你把我当傻瓜。"
Then he caught Little Claus and put him in the sack,
说着他抓住小克劳斯,把他塞进那只大口袋,
slung it up over his back and told him,
扛到背上,对他说:
“Now I shall take you and drown you.”
"现在我就去把你淹死。"
It was a long way to the river, and Little Claus was no light load.
去河边路很远,小克劳斯又沉,压得他直喘。
The road went by the church, and as they passed, they could hear the organ playing and the people singing very beautifully.
大路经过教堂,路过时听见风琴悠扬,众人唱诗歌声美妙。
Big Claus set down his sack just outside the church door.
大克劳斯把口袋放在教堂门外。
He thought the best thing for him to do was to go in to hear a hymn before he went any further.
他想最好先进去听一首圣歌,再继续赶路。
Little Claus was securely tied in the sack, and all the people were inside the church.
小克劳斯被牢牢捆在袋里,而人们都进了教堂。
So Big Claus went in too.
于是大克劳斯也走了进去。
“Oh dear, oh dear!” Little Claus sighed in the sack.
"哎呀,哎呀!"口袋里的小克劳斯叹气。
Twist and turn as he might, he could not loosen the knot.
他左挣右扭,却怎么也解不开绳结。
Then a white-haired old cattle drover came by, leaning heavily on his staff.
这时,一位白发苍苍的老牧牛人拄着长杖走来。
The herd of bulls and cows he was driving bumped against the sack Little Claus was in and overturned it.
他赶的一群公牛母牛撞上了装小克劳斯的口袋,把袋子撞翻了。
“Oh dear,” Little Claus sighed, “I’m so young to be going to Heaven.”
"唉,"小克劳斯叹气,"我这么年轻就要上天堂了。"
“While I,” said the cattle drover, “am too old for this earth, yet Heaven will not send for me.”
"而我,"老牧牛人说,"在这世上活得太久,天堂却总不召唤我。"
“Open the sack!” Little Claus shouted.
"打开口袋!"小克劳斯喊道。
“Get in and take my place. You’ll go straight to Heaven.”
"你进来顶替我,直接升天堂。"
“That’s where I want to be,” said the drover, as he undid the sack.
"那正是我想去的地方,"老人说着解开袋口。
Little Claus jumped out at once.
小克劳斯立刻跳了出来。
“You must look after my cattle,” the old man said as he crawled in.
"你得替我照看好这群牛,"老人爬进袋里说。
As soon as Little Claus fastened the sack, he walked away from there with all the bulls and cows.
小克劳斯把袋口扎紧,立刻赶着那群牛离开了。
Presently, Big Claus came out of church.
不一会儿,大克劳斯走出教堂。
He took the sack on his back and found it light,
他扛起口袋,觉得轻得出奇,
for the old drover was no more than half as heavy as Little Claus.
因为老牧牛人只有小克劳斯一半重。
“How light my burden is, all because I’ve been listening to a hymn,” said Big Claus.
"负担这么轻,全是听圣歌的功德,"大克劳斯自言自语。
He went on to the deep wide river, and threw the sack with the old cattle drover into the water.
他走到深河边,把装着老牧牛人的口袋扑通扔进水里。
“You’ll never trick me again,” Big Claus said,
"你再也骗不了我了,"大克劳斯说,
for he thought he had seen the last splash of Little Claus.
他以为那是小克劳斯最后的水花。
He started home, but when he came to the crossroads, he met Little Claus and all his cattle.
他转身回家,却在十字路口遇见小克劳斯和那群牛。
“Where did you come from?” Big Claus exclaimed.
"你是从哪儿冒出来的?"大克劳斯惊叫。
“Didn’t I just drown you?”
"我不是刚把你淹死了吗?"
“Yes,” said Little Claus. “You threw me in the river half an hour ago.”
"没错,"小克劳斯说,"半小时前你把我扔进河里。"
“Then how did you come by such a fine herd of cattle?” Big Claus wanted to know.
"那你怎么得到这么一大群牛?"大克劳斯追问。
“Oh, they’re sea cattle,” said Little Claus.
"哦,这些是海里的牛,"小克劳斯回答。
“I’ll tell you how I got them, because I’m obliged to you for drowning me.
"我告诉你怎么得来的,多亏你把我淹死。
I’m a made man now. I can’t begin to tell you how rich I am.
如今我发大了,富得没法说。
But when I was in the sack, with the wind whistling in my ears as you dropped me off the bridge into the cold water, I was frightened enough.
可当你把我连袋扔下桥,冷风在耳边呼啸,我吓得够呛。
I went straight to the bottom, but it didn’t hurt me because of all the fine soft grass down there.
我一路沉到河底,却被柔软的草垫着,一点也没受伤。
Someone opened the sack, and a beautiful maiden took my hand.
有人解开袋子,一位美丽的少女拉住我的手。
Her clothes were white as snow, and she had a green wreath in her floating hair.
她白衣如雪,漂浮的长发上戴着绿色花环。
She said, ‘So you’ve come, Little Claus. Here’s a herd of cattle for you, but they are just the beginning of my presents.
她说:'你来了,小克劳斯。这群牛送给你,但这只是礼物的一部分。
A mile further up the road, another herd awaits you.’
沿河再走一英里,还有一群牛在等你。'
Then I saw that the river is a great highway for the people who live in the sea.
我这才知道,这条河是海底居民的通衢大道。
Down on the bottom of the river, they walked and drove their cattle straight in from the sea to the land where the rivers end.
在河底,他们赶着牛群从海里走来,一直走到河流尽头的大陆。
The flowers down there are fragrant. The grass is fresh, and fish flit by as birds do up here.
那里的花儿芬芳,草儿鲜嫩,鱼儿像空中的鸟一样掠过。
The people are fine, and so are the cattle that come grazing along the roadside.
居民和善,沿路吃草的牛群也肥壮可爱。
Then why are you back so soon?” Big Claus asked.
"那你干嘛这么快回来?"大克劳斯问。
“If it’s all so beautiful, I’d have stayed there.”
"要是那么美,我才舍不得走。"
“Well,” said Little Claus,
"唉,"小克劳斯说,
“I’m being particularly clever.
"我这不是机灵嘛。
You remember I said the sea maiden told me to go one mile up the road and I’d find another herd of cattle.
你记得那位海中少女叫我沿河再走一英里,还有一群牛。
By ‘road’ she meant the river, for that’s the only way she travels.
她说'路'指的是河,因为她只在水里走。
But I know how the river turns and twists, and it seemed too roundabout a way of getting there.
可我知道那条河弯来绕去,走那里太远。
By coming up on land, I took a shortcut that saves me half a mile.
我上岸走陆路,抄了近道,省下半英里。
So I get my cattle that much sooner.”
所以我更快把牛群拿到手。"
“You are a lucky man,” said Big Claus.
"你真是走运,"大克劳斯说。
“Do you think I would get me some cattle too if I went down to the bottom of the river?”
"要是我沉到河底,也能得到牛群吗?"
“Oh, I’m sure you would,” said Little Claus.
"哦,肯定能,"小克劳斯回答。
“Don’t expect me to carry you there in a sack, because you’re too heavy for me,
"别指望我扛你去,你太沉我扛不动,
but if you walk to the river and crawl into the sack, I’ll throw you in with the greatest of pleasure.”
可要是你自己走到河边,爬进袋子里,我很乐意把你扔下去。"
“Thank you,” said Big Claus,
"多谢,"大克劳斯说,
“but remember, if I don’t get a herd of sea cattle down there, I’ll give you a thrashing, believe me.”
"可记住,要是我得不到海底牛群,我非揍你不可,说到做到。"
“Would you really?” said Little Claus.
"你真会揍我?"小克劳斯问。
As they came to the river, the thirsty cattle saw the water and rushed to drink it.
到了河边,口渴的牛群看见水,纷纷冲过去喝。
Little Claus said, “See what a hurry they are in to get back to the bottom of the river.”
小克劳斯说:"瞧它们急着想回河底老家。"
“Help me get there first,” Big Claus commanded,
"先帮我下去!"大克劳斯下令,
“or I’ll give you that beating right now.”
"不然我现在就揍你。"
He struggled into the big sack, which had been lying across the back of one of the cattle.
他费力钻进那只横搭在牛背上的大口袋。
“Put a stone in, or I’m afraid I shan’t sink,” said Big Claus.
"放块石头,我怕沉不下去,"大克劳斯提醒。
“No fear of that,” said Little Claus,
"放心,包你沉,"小克劳斯说,
but he put a big stone in the sack, tied it tightly, and pushed it into the river.
可他还是塞进一块大石头,把袋口扎牢,一脚推下河。
Splash! Up flew the water, and down to the bottom sank Big Claus.
扑通!水花四溅,大克劳斯直沉河底。
“I’m afraid he won’t find what I found!” said Little Claus as he herded all his cattle home.
"恐怕他找不到我找到的东西!"小克劳斯说着,赶着他的牛群回家去了。
来源:sdforest