摘要:We are on the beautiful Riverwalk, cruising along with our friends at Go Rio Cruises, and my Captain.
What's up, sunshine?
你好!
Welcome to beautiful San Antonio, Texas.
欢迎来到美丽的德克萨斯州圣安东尼奥。
We are on the beautiful Riverwalk, cruising along with our friends at Go Rio Cruises, and my Captain.
我们正沿着美丽的河滨步道航行, 与Go Rio Cruises的朋友们同行,还有我们的船长。
This is Captain Joel.
这是乔尔船长。
He's been doing this 33 years now.
他已经这样做了33年了。
That is awesome.
那太棒了。
Welcome to CNN 10.
欢迎来到美国有线电视新闻网10。
I'm Coy Wire.
我是科伊·怀尔。
We want to give a big congrats to the University of Connecticut, the Huskies, locking up their 12th NCAA Women's Basketball Championship in an impressive win over South Carolina.
我们要热烈祝贺康涅狄格大学哈士奇队,在对阵南卡罗来纳州的精彩比赛中,夺得了她们第12个全美大学体育协会女子篮球锦标赛冠军。
And on the men's side last night, right here in San Antonio, it was the Florida Gators.
昨晚在圣安东尼奥的男子比赛中,佛罗里达短吻鳄队表现出色。
Coming out on top with their big win over Houston, so congrats to them as well.
以大胜休斯顿的出色表现脱颖而出,同样恭喜他们。
All right, let's get you your news.
好的,现在给你带来新闻。
We start today with some of the dangerous spring weather that we're seeing Across the southern U.S. and Midwest.
今天我们首先来看看美国南部和中西部出现的一些危险的春季天气。
Destructive storms unleashed relentless rain and produced tornadoes over the weekend, and they've only begun to subside at the beginning of the week.
破坏性的风暴在周末肆虐, 带来了持续的降雨并产生了龙卷风,直到周初才开始减弱。
Across the central U.S., the National Weather Service logged at least 58 tornadoes since the storms began.
在美国中部,美国国家气象局记录了自风暴开始以来至少有58次龙卷风。
Those storms dumped over a foot of rain across the Mid-South since last week.
这些风暴在上周以来已经给中南地区带来了超过一英尺的降雨。
Over the weekend, more than a dozen daily rainfall records were set in Arkansas and Tennessee.
本周末,阿肯色州和田纳西州有超过十几项日降雨量记录被打破。
Memphis saw its wettest day ever in April, with more than five inches of rain.
孟菲斯在今年4月经历了有史以来最潮湿的一天,降雨量超过五英寸。
Although the rain has stopped, communities are not out of danger as rivers continue to rise.
尽管雨已停歇,各社区仍未脱离险境,因河流持续上涨。
Widespread flooding has triggered evacuations, water rescues, and warnings to move to a higher ground across Kentucky.
肯塔基州各地的广泛洪水已引发疏散行动、水上救援,并发布警告要求居民前往地势更高的地方避险。
The Kentucky River is predicted to crest at a new record of 49 and a half feet, the highest level it's reached since flooding in 1978.
肯塔基河预计将达到新的创纪录水位,49.5英尺,这是自1978年洪水以来的最高水位。
Kentucky's governor declared a state of emergency last week and urged residents statewide to take the flood threat seriously.
肯塔基州的州长上周宣布进入紧急状态,并敦促全省居民认真对待洪水威胁。
Pop quiz, hot shot.
突然测试,聪明的家伙。
Weather balloons carry what instrument used to measure the atmosphere?
气象气球搭载何种仪器用于测量大气?
Barometer, radiosonde, thermostat, or anemometer?
气压计、无线电探空仪、恒温器还是风速计?
If you said radiosonde, rise up!
如果你说是无线电探空仪,那就太棒了!
It's a small battery-powered instrument suspended below a weather balloon, gathering atmospheric data like temperature, pressure, and humidity, then transmitting that info to a ground receiver via radio.
它是一款由小型电池供电的仪器,悬挂在气象气球下方,收集大气数据,如温度、压力和湿度,然后通过无线电将这些信息传输给地面接收器。
The National Weather Service has been launching weather balloons and their attached radiosondes to make upper atmosphere observations since the 1930s, and while other methods like Doppler radars, satellites, and aircraft observations help in this effort, the National weather Service considers weather balloons the best method for measuring weather factors like humidity, wind, and pressure for building accurate weather forecasts.
美国国家气象局自20世纪30年代起就开始释放气象气球及其附带的无线电探空仪来观测高层大气。尽管多普勒雷达、卫星和飞机观测等其他方法也有助于这项工作,但美国国家气象局认为,气象气球是测量湿度、风速和气压等天气因素,以建立准确天气预报的最佳方法。
So what happens if some of these balloons launched twice a day from more than 100 sites across the U.S. no longer take flight?
那么,如果这些每天从美国超过100个地点发射两次的气球不再升空,会发生什么?
Our meteorologist, Ali Chinchar, has more.
我们的气象学家Ali Chinchar带来更多信息。
We are at the National Weather Service office.
我们在美国国家气象局办公室。
We're going to be running through a weather balloon launch today.
今天我们将会进行一个气象气球的发射。
There are roughly 100 National Weather Service offices scattered across North America and the Pacific Islands, and they're all roughly evenly spread out so that you get good coverage when you're trying to give forecasts for a specific area.
在美国和北美洲以及太平洋岛屿上大约分布着100个美国国家气象局办公室,它们均匀分布, 以便在为特定区域提供预报时能够获得良好的覆盖。
All of these dots here represent a site that offers weather balloon launches, twice a day, every single day.
所有这些点代表一个每天两次提供气象气球发射的站点。
The yellow dots indicate a location that's gone down to just one launch per day instead of the usual two.
黄色圆点表示该地点的发射次数已减少至每日一次,而非通常的两次。
The red dots indicate where they have gotten rid of the launches entirely.
红色的点表示他们完全取消了发射的地方。
Our particular weather balloon here is filled with hydrogen, which is then attached to an instrument called a radiosonde that measures temperature, humidity, pressure, as well as wind speed as it moves up in the atmosphere.
我们这里使用的特殊气象气球内充氢气,并与一个名为无线电探空仪的仪器相连。 该仪器在气球升空过程中,能够测量温度、湿度、气压以及风速等大气参数。
One of their core functions is that the data that we take from them twice a day is used and ingested into weather models that produce the forecast that you, say, get on your phone or are utilized by your local or national TB meteorologist.
它们的核心功能之一是, 我们每天两次从它们那里获取的数据会被用于并输入到天气模型中, 生成你在手机上看到的天气预报,或者被你当地的或国家的美国国家气象局气象学家使用。
They can also be used in the event of severe weather.
它们也可以在恶劣天气情况下使用。
Sometimes on extremely windy or stormy days, it actually can take two or even three National Weather Service employees to launch the balloons.
在极端多风或暴风雨的日子里,实际上可能需要两名甚至三名美国国家气象局的员工来发射这些气球。
Oftentimes, when you have a tropical system that is nearing landfall or a severe outbreak that is expected, many of these offices will actually issue extra balloon launches, perhaps one or even two more per day.
通常, 当一个热带系统即将登陆或预计发生严重天气爆发时,这些办公室实际上会发布额外的气象气球发射任务,可能每天多发射一至两次。
Now we're actually cutting back on the weather balloon launches rather than adding more in times that we really need to have the extras.
现在我们实际上是在减少气象气球的发射次数,而不是在我们需要额外发射的时候增加次数。
All right, so far in today's episode, we have talked about storms and the best ways to predict them.
好的,到目前为止,在今天的节目中,我们讨论了风暴以及预测它们的最佳方法。
But what about some of the beauty that comes after the storm?
但风暴过后,那些美丽的景象又是什么呢?
Sometimes we see those rainbows, right?
有时我们会看到那些彩虹,对吧?
And it turns out, this everyday marvel is more complex than you think.
原来,这个日常的奇迹比你想象的要复杂得多。
We all know that no two people are exactly the same.
我们都知道没有两个人是完全一样的。
And it turns out, no two people will ever see the same exact rainbow in the same way.
而且事实证明,没有人会以完全相同的方式看到相同的彩虹。
Why?
为什么?
We humans each see our own unique set of reflected light from different raindrops from our own very different perspectives.
我们人类每个人从各自不同的角度看到不同雨滴反射出的独特光线。
Our Meg Terrell talks to a professor of atmospheric sciences to help explain this fascinating phenomenon.
我们的梅格·特雷尔采访了一位大气科学教授,帮助解释这一令人着迷的现象。
Did you know that no two people see the exact same rainbow?
你知道吗,没有两个人能看到完全相同的彩虹?
Each person sees their own rainbow.
每个人都会看到自己的彩虹。
These amazing displays of nature are different for everybody because they're created by sunlight refracting through raindrops and then reflecting back out.
这些令人惊叹的自然现象对每个人来说都是不同的,因为它们是由阳光通过雨滴折射后再反射出来的。
And we all see reflections from different drops, according to atmospheric scientist Dr. Steven Buesinger.
而且我们看到的彩虹反射来自不同的水滴,根据大气科学家史蒂文·布伊辛杰博士的说法。
It seems like you're seeing the same rainbow, but as a matter of physics, you're actually seeing different rainbows because you have a different perspective, slightly different perspective.
看起来你们看到的是同一道彩虹,但实际上由于你们的视角略有不同,你们看到的是不同的彩虹。
So the rainbow is being made up of different raindrops.
所以彩虹是由不同的雨滴组成的。
We all know what it takes to make a rainbow, sunshine and rain at the same time.
我们都知道彩虹的形成需要阳光和雨水同时出现。
But what's actually happening, Buesinger says, is that as sunlight hits the droplets, it bends, or refracts.
但布塞杰尔说, 实际上发生的情况是,当阳光照射到水滴上时,它会弯曲或折射。
And because colors travel at different wavelengths, the bending reveals them to the human eye.
由于不同颜色的光以不同的波长传播,这种折射使它们显现于人眼。
The wavelength of blue light is shorter than the wavelength of red light.
蓝色光的波长比红色光的波长短。
And the energy associated with the blue light is higher than the energy associated with the red light.
蓝光的能量高于红光的能量。
And so the blue light tends to be bent more than the red light.
因此,蓝光往往会比红光折射得更多。
And each raindrop is actually reflecting only one color back to us.
而且每滴雨水实际上只反射一种颜色回给我们。
We see red on top of a rainbow and blue on the bottom because their different wavelengths mean they exit the raindrops at different angles.
我们之所以在彩虹顶端看到红色、底端看到蓝色,是因为它们不同的波长意味着它们以不同的角度离开雨滴。
Each raindrop in the shower is producing one color for your eye.
淋浴中的每一滴雨水都会为你的双眼产生一种颜色。
And then you go to the next raindrop and it produces another color.
然后你看到下一滴雨滴,它会呈现出另一种颜色。
And in some, that gives you the whole rainbow.
在某些情况下,这会为你呈现出一道完整的彩虹。
If you're very lucky, you might see a double rainbow.
如果你非常幸运,你可能会看到双彩虹。
It's a second reflection at the back of the drop so that the light comes out at a higher angle.
这是在水滴后部的第二次反射,从而使光线以更大的角度射出。
Or on a bright moonlit night?
或是皓月当空的夜晚?
If you go out at night and there's a full moon and you look away from the moon, there are times where you can see a rainbow or a moonbow, I guess it's called at that point.
如果你晚上出去, 正好是满月, 你朝远离月亮的方向看,有时候你可以看到彩虹或者月虹,我想那个时候应该叫月虹。
But Buesinger's favorite rainbow fact is that you'll never find the end of a rainbow.
但布塞辛格最喜欢的关于彩虹的事实是,你永远找不到彩虹的尽头。
If you're in a helicopter or a small plane, you can see a full circle rainbow because the rain doesn't hit the ground and it creates a full circle.
如果你在直升机或小型飞机上,你可以看到完整的圆形彩虹, 因为雨水没有落到地面, 从而形成了一个完整的圆圈。
So no pot of gold, but now you know some physics, and that's Everyday Science.
所以没有金锅,但你现在知道了一些物理知识,这就是日常生活中的科学。
Today's story, getting a 10 out of 10, an offline club ditching screen time for IRL time.
今天的报道,满分十分,一个离线俱乐部放弃屏幕时间,转而享受现实生活时间。
The offline club started in Amsterdam, in the Netherlands, offering a space for folks to take a break from their screens and all the distractions that keep us plugged in, scrolling and those sorts of things, and missing more in-person connections with the people around us.
“离线俱乐部” 起源于荷兰的阿姆斯特丹,提供一个让人们远离屏幕和各种分散注意力的事物的空间,避免不断滑动屏幕的行为,从而能够更多地与周围的人进行面对面的交流。
Now, there are offline club chapters in cities around the world, from London to Lisbon to Dubai, where people of all ages are coming together for screen-free fun.
如今,从伦敦到里斯本再到迪拜,世界各地的城市都出现了“离线俱乐部”的分会,各年龄段的人们聚在一起享受无屏幕的欢乐时光。
Take a look.
请看。
My name is Ben Hounsel and I'm City Leader for The Offline Club London.
我叫本·霍克尔,是“离线俱乐部”伦敦分部的城市负责人。
We're pioneering a movement to help people swap screen time for real time.
我们正在开创一项运动,帮助人们用真实互动替代屏幕时间。
It was founded by three Dutch guys in Amsterdam in February 2024.
它是由三位在阿姆斯特丹的荷兰人于2024年2月创立的。
It's just a group of friends trying to get away from their phones and since then it's really grown into a global movement.
这只是一个试图远离手机的朋友群体,从那以后,它真的发展成为一项全球运动。
So it's just a phone-free event.
所以这只是一个无手机的活动。
You turn up, you hand your phone in at the start, and for the next two hours you're offline.
你到场后,一开始就把手机交出来,接下来的两小时你就离线了。
We'll have live music, live piano, and then people will pick up those forgotten hobbies, reading, journaling, writing.
我们将有现场音乐, 现场钢琴演奏, 然后人们会拾起那些被遗忘的爱好,比如阅读、写日记和写作。
It's really mindful.
这真的很用心。
I'm not anti-tech myself.
我自己并不反科技。
I think it's just very beneficial to get away from tech for a few hours.
我认为远离科技几个小时是非常有益的。
So I'm 23 years old.
所以我23岁。
In my previous startup, I was spending hours upon hours a day optimizing video for TikTok, making sure it was as addictive as possible.
在我之前的初创公司中, 我每天花费数小时优化 TikTok 视频,确保它尽可能上瘾。
Ironic, right?
很讽刺,对吧?
I think for us as humans, it's about discovering what parts of these phones do we want to use for good and what parts aren't benefiting us.
我认为对于我们人类来说,重要的是发现手机的哪些部分我们可以用来做好事,而哪些部分对我们没有益处。
Our core audience is actually 90% female, ages 25 to 50.
我们的核心观众实际上是90%为女性,年龄在25到50岁之间。
So it's not actually really Gen Z and Gen Alpha that are coming to these events.
所以实际上参加这些活动的并不是真正的Z世代和Alpha世代。
I think they're just the most addicted to their phones.
我觉得他们只是最沉迷于手机。
We've got weaker real-world connections.
我们现实世界中的联系变弱了。
It's really declining our mental health.
这确实在损害我们的心理健康。
My pep talk would just be to come to an offline event.
我的加油打气就是来参加一个离线活动。
Come and chat to me there in person and I reckon I could convince them to go offline for a bit.
来亲自和我聊天吧,我想我能说服他们暂时离线一下。
All right, I want to give one more thanks to my captain, Joel.
好的,我要再次感谢我的队长乔尔。
Appreciate you, sir.
感谢您,先生。
And we're going to make this a two-shot out Tuesday.
我们将把这个安排在周二进行双人拍摄。
This one goes to the Cougars at Haddam Killingworth Middle School in Killingworth, Connecticut.
这期节目要送给康涅狄格州金宁斯沃斯市哈丹姆-金宁斯沃斯中学的猎豹队。
Thank you for subscribing and making us part of your day.
感谢您的订阅,让我们成为您日常生活的一部分。
And this one goes to John Jay High School and all our Mustangs right here in San Antonio.
这则消息要送给圣安东尼奥的约翰·杰伊高中以及我们所有的野马队成员。
We see you, Coach A. Remember tomorrow's hashtag, YourWordWednesday.
我们看到你了,A教练。记得明天的标签,你的词汇星期三。
You know the drill.
你知道套路。
Submit your unique vocabulary word and definition along with your school's name, and we'll choose one fun winner to work in tomorrow's show.
提交你独特的词汇及其定义, 并附上你所在学校的名称,我们将挑选一位有趣的获胜者, 其内容将出现在明天的节目中。
Let's go, and yeehaw, y'all.
走吧,耶呼,大家伙。
Hope you float on through this day real nice.
希望你今天过得非常愉快。
I'm Coy Wire, and we are CNN 10.
我是科伊·怀尔,这里是美国有线电视新闻网10。
来源:英语东